DIY phos reactor - using filter canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently bought then returned an aquatop phos reactor because it literally broke instantly while putting it together.
My specifications for one are pretty tight so I thought about using a filter canister (not canister filter) to DIY one.

81nIsc2t-nL._SL1500_.jpg

I then picked this pump

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBKNG4K/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I30FAC9YNY7LAQ&colid=32YRRVUMB8U4O

and a DI resin cartridge

6126VkQ4F-L._SL1500_.jpg

I figure this SHOULD work the same in theory but my only concern is the 1/4 in/out on the canister should be enough for this pump on a 29 gallon tank.

If not I JUST found this one

https://www.amazon.com/Pentek-15007...qid=1500578968&sr=8-8&keywords=filter+housing

that has 3/4 in/out which I believe should also work but is twice as much

have any of you ever done this.

well I orderd the pieces since amazon just gave me a credit. I started to think the pump at 120gph was WAY to powerful for a 29 but its adjustable and I can throttle it more. It was 12$ and rather have more and not needed it than need it and not have it.

I got a 3/4 IPT housing which I will reduce to 1/2 (rather have more and not needed it than need it and not have it).

Ive seen a couple vids on youtube since and people do do this so its not unusual. The nice part is I can get a second one and go carbon if I like.

Ill let you guys know how it works

You shouldn't need this?? I've been instructed by a few reputable reefers that a weekly 5% wc is all I should do, no dosing, no media.. just the wc. I do a 10% every 8-9days and sneak a larger one when I can.

I do 5 gallons every week. Sometimes ten. Plus my skimmer is over rated but I am still dealing with diatoms and some algae. Even if I don't need it forever the one from my buddy helped but I gave it back to him.
I wanted one but just smaller in physical size so I could hide it. Plus these are parts I can repurpose if no longer needed.

well I set it up, no leaks and the pump is good. My only concern is I think the water flows in through the DI canister down. This is where I put my media and its not tumbling. I saw a video online where a guy just dumped the media right into the canister body with nothing containing it and it tumbles nice but Im worried the media will just end up in my tank. Is the tumbling really necessary or is it fine so long as the water flows through it?

if a mod sees this and can move it to the DIY section it would be appreciated. I screwed up in the placement of this thread.
Thanks

heres the image, forgot to post it

Attachments

• IMG_20170723_174436.jpg
    IMG_20170723_174436.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom