DIY Protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pike

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to attempt to build a protein skimmer for my 125gal reef. This tank will also have a 30gal sump and a 30 gal fuge. Just because I have two 30gal tanks from an old FW project. So with all filters, and tanks full I will be pushing around 200gal of saltwater.
Is this how I should look at it? Or should I just consider the 125gal for the skimmer?
What I really want to know is how big should I make this skimmer. I understand the taller I make it the more contact time the water and micro bubbles will have. I will make a venturi style if at all possible.
I am thinking about going with 4"-5" PVC with a 3" reaction chamber inside. Or maybe a 5" Sq. plexiglass box. Anyone have any pros or cons on going with a sq unit opposed to a round one. I know the drilling, and the application of bulkheads will be EZer with a sq box unit.
If the micro bubbles exiting the skimmer wont be an issue because of other filtration occurring after the skimmer will I need to use a reaction chamber? How I understand it, the two separate chambers are for the reduction of micro bubbles exiting the skimmer and entering the main tank.
I have looked at many designs from others that have built these DIY skimmers, but none I have seen tell what size the skimmer is rated for.
Has anyone ever built one and what are the specs for something that will skim around 200gals.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom