Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

DIY Water Flow Controller?

Hey everyone! I got i 55 gallon tank thats running an Odyssea CFS 500 (500gph canister filter) and also have two Odyssea 350 Powerheads that are not currently in the tank because they create an extremely fast water current that my fish just cant handle.

My canister filter has a quick flow as well, so I have a tiny black mesh bag over it which slows it down very nicely and blends in with my black background well so its not an eyesore. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on DIY ways to slow down the output current on these powerheads?? I think the mesh bag works great for the top of the tank, but would probably look strange flapping around near the bottom...

Thanks everyone, any advise is good!

Steve

Old 11-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
are these power heads 350 gph? if so, they are not even close to too much flow for your tank. just put the canister output on one side and a single power head on the other if you feel it's too much.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

well yes, they are rated as 350gph, but it seems like its putting out even more than my 500gph canister. My tiger barbs love it since they are really fast swimmers, but my other fish (two angel fish and seven synodontis petricolas) get tossed around like ragdolls . The petricola catfish look like are going to have a heart attack swimming so hard just to stay in one place. I took out the powerhead cuz i felt like they were struggling and needed a rest.

Ya think i should put it back in? This is my first 55g tank, so I may be over reacting. The petricolas are still fairly small (3/4"-1") so I dont know if the flow is too much for them or no?

Thanks mr_X, always appreciated
Old 11-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

ahh..i was thinking this is a salt tank. i just don't have the fresh water experience to be able to make an educated advisement. i don't know the fish.
sorry steve.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

its ok doug, i guess i should have mentioned that in the first post! yeah its a 55g freshwater thank with Angelfish Tiger Barbs and Syndodontis Petricola catfish. Since the catfish are so small, I decided to wait another week or so before putting the powerhead back in. When I set it back up, i will tie the mesh bag to the output since it lowers the flow substantially. Then after a month or so, after then have time to grow a little more and get used the it, I'll removed the bag and see what happens...
Old 11-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

You dont need the powerhead at all. Just the canister. Freshwater does not need that much flow. The angels like a very calm tank.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks murray appreciate the response. so i guess i'll sell the powerheads, they weren't that great anyway.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

the main reason i got the powerheads was because even using a battery powered "poo picker-upper" every other day and weekly water changes, my sand is still covered. I wanted to get a couple powerheads to kinda get the poo moving a little bit, but made a rookie error and went way too powerful.

I'm going to start a new post catering toward questions about smaller powerheads used to clean debris if i cant find one on the forum, will post a link here if you or anyone else is interested...
Old 11-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

feed less maybe.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

if you have light dimmer you can use it to reduce the flow. Basically a dimmer reduces the amount of current a light uses, so if you have less current the light or in this case the powerhead will be less efficient. (have you seen what happens to a flashlight when it's running out of batteries? same concept applies here). If you have one lying around your house and can hide it, you can give it a try. But if you don't, I would not buy it (they're not cheap, or at least the ones I've seen)

Tags
controller, diy, flow, water flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com