Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2010, 05:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do all taps in the USA have threads?

Just wondered as reading the Python website it talks about attaching the unit to the threads on your tap, and it's fairly clear that they believe that a taps without threads are practically non-existent.

Whereas the only time I've seen a tap with a thread is outside ones for connecting hosepipes etc.

So is it normal for US taps to have threaded connections on them?

Old 11-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

yeah. they have an aerator on them that screws off and most of the time you have to get an adapter to attach a python... do they really not have threaded ends on them in the UK? That makes no sense. The aerator has a screen on it which has to be cleaned out once every few years. Are you sure yours doesnt screw off?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No, and I've never seen such an arrangement! (Unless of course I'm missing something)

I guess it may be why they don't sell Pythons in the UK, too many people complaining it doesn't fit on their taps?!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

almost EVERY faucet in the states has a similar setup as below... the aerator is a small piece that screws onto the very end of the faucet...

Python also does make all different types of adapters to fit various situations ...
Old 11-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewz00 View Post
almost EVERY faucet in the states has a similar setup as below... the aerator is a small piece that screws onto the very end of the faucet...

Python also does make all different types of adapters to fit various situations ...
I'll have to check out my home tap and see if it has anything like that!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the water comes out of your faucet in a nice, round, bubbly column, you've got an aerator. You'll have to use the little adaptor that comes with the python. I believe there's also an attachment that clamps on the faucet instead of threading on.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've had a look at a lot of taps, and some do have aerators, but they are either just pushed in, with no threads, or very firmly screwed in and there's no way they're coming out!

What I've never seen is a tap with an easily removable aerator.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are male or female aerators on the ends of the taps for every sink I have ever seen.

faucet aerator pic - Google Search=

There are SOOOO many different kinds!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I guess it's just standard thing in the USA, but not in the UK. Which I guess is why Python are so reluctant to sell in the UK, too many people sending them back as they don't fit the taps!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just looked at UK faucets, and it looks like most of them have an aerator, unless you have the old style faucets, like the hot on one side, and the cold on the other side (2 different faucets).
If you look at yours, and it has an end on it that looks different than the rest of the faucet (usually between 1/4-1 inch sticking down/out) try using some sort of a wrench that has rubber grips, and see if you can get it off of there.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com