Do all taps in the USA have threads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Hewitt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wondered as reading the Python website it talks about attaching the unit to the threads on your tap, and it's fairly clear that they believe that a taps without threads are practically non-existent.

Whereas the only time I've seen a tap with a thread is outside ones for connecting hosepipes etc.

So is it normal for US taps to have threaded connections on them?

yeah. they have an aerator on them that screws off and most of the time you have to get an adapter to attach a python... do they really not have threaded ends on them in the UK? That makes no sense. The aerator has a screen on it which has to be cleaned out once every few years. Are you sure yours doesnt screw off?

No, and I've never seen such an arrangement! (Unless of course I'm missing something)

I guess it may be why they don't sell Pythons in the UK, too many people complaining it doesn't fit on their taps?!

almost EVERY faucet in the states has a similar setup as below... the aerator is a small piece that screws onto the very end of the faucet...

img_1174929_0_af641762591f94dc0a241e8106d48225.jpg

Python also does make all different types of adapters to fit various situations ...

almost EVERY faucet in the states has a similar setup as below... the aerator is a small piece that screws onto the very end of the faucet...

img_1174935_0_af641762591f94dc0a241e8106d48225.jpg

Python also does make all different types of adapters to fit various situations ...

I'll have to check out my home tap and see if it has anything like that!

If the water comes out of your faucet in a nice, round, bubbly column, you've got an aerator. You'll have to use the little adaptor that comes with the python. I believe there's also an attachment that clamps on the faucet instead of threading on.

I've had a look at a lot of taps, and some do have aerators, but they are either just pushed in, with no threads, or very firmly screwed in and there's no way they're coming out!

What I've never seen is a tap with an easily removable aerator.

Yeah I guess it's just standard thing in the USA, but not in the UK. Which I guess is why Python are so reluctant to sell in the UK, too many people sending them back as they don't fit the taps!

I just looked at UK faucets, and it looks like most of them have an aerator, unless you have the old style faucets, like the hot on one side, and the cold on the other side (2 different faucets).
If you look at yours, and it has an end on it that looks different than the rest of the faucet (usually between 1/4-1 inch sticking down/out) try using some sort of a wrench that has rubber grips, and see if you can get it off of there.

Post a pic of your faucet. i will be able to tell you what you need to get it to work.

When I was in the uk all faucets I saw were standard with aerators. Post a pic I'm sure there is something you might be overlooking. Even is the us some faucets can be a real pain to take the aerators off.

The aerator on the faucet in my apartment kitchen wasn't removable very easily and my python wouldn't attach to it anyways. I had to use a wrench on the aerator on the bathroom faucet because it corroded in place over thirty years. If you have an aerator, the threads are most likely up inside the faucet.

It's not a matter of posting a picture of 'my' tap as much as *every* tap seems to either not have an aerator, or have one which just pushes in, i.e. is not threaded.

Back
Top Bottom