Do AquaClear users follow the media replacement schedule?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaysE

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an AquaClear 50 with the AC mechanical filter on the bottom and carbon on top of that, with a large-cell foam pre-filter on the intake tube. On the packaging for the media, I'm supposed to change the carbon once a month (let's say the 1st of the month), and alternate between cleaning and replacing the foam once a month in between the carbon replacements (let's say the 14th of the month). So the foam gets replaced once every two months. Is this the schedule everyone else follows or is there a better way to do it?

Most people here don't use the carbon unless there is a specific reason to (removing medication or other chemicals). Also, most just rinse the sponges, keeping them until they NEED replacement (i.e. falling apart). Personally, I run 2 sponges and some ceramic bio-media, and just rinse everything (in tank water from the cleaning) when needed.

I kept my foam in for almost a year and just rinsed it out with declorinated water to clean it. As long as it didn't start to break down I kept it. The Carbon was rinsed as well but I replace that about every 2-3 months. I ran my tank this way for years.

I also don't use carbon in any of my tanks (all 3 have AC filters). I use sponges only and rinse the top one once a month, then put that one on the bottom. Then the next month I'll be rinsing a different sponge and putting it on the bottom.

I have some foam inserts that are over 10 years old. Forget the carbon, and run 2 sponges, but clewan them both together, as needed. The one on the bottom will get much dirtier. If you want to polish the water, you can add a little polyester floss, between the two sponges.

BillD said:
If you want to polish the water, you can add a little polyester floss, between the two sponges.

That's exactly what I have on my AC70. A lot more bang for the buck IMO. The manufacturer's goal regarding the foam is to sell more of their product. They would never suggest "cleaning" the foam.

Interesting pointers. I think I'm going to go with the two sponges and polyfill idea. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom