Do bowfronts have a tendency to leak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishywishy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All! I have a 46g flatback bowfront and have had no problems with it (6 months and counting). I am drooling over a 90+gal corner bowfront and/or a 70+gal flatback bowfront, but was told by one storeowner that the larger bows tend to leak. Has anyone had this experience? Any advice would be appreciated.

WELCOME TO AA!!

I think the quality of the tank would determine if it leaks or not....There could be a possibility of stress fractures, if the tank is not level, tht might cause a leak.... Are you talking a regular tank or a pre-drilled tank?

I think maybe the owner of the store might have some cheap bowfronts because all the ones I have seen I think the biggest was a 175 gallon and it was pretty old and didn't leak a drop.

It all depends on quality. Some generic store brands like Top Fin make aquariums with thinner glass and shorter frames.
My dad has a 5+ year old 30 gallon all-glass aquarium used heavily...
He bleached the insides before, he has rotated the whole tank on its stand alone with 25% water in it...
He just pulls the stand away from the wall and turns the tank slowly around with a bit of help, so yes, sometimes at least 10 inches of tank has no support under it, and it has not leaked a drop or cracked.

Back
Top Bottom