Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do I need a Ball Valve?

During my last water change, I cut the tubing on my return pump to make it shorter. Mr. X had indicated on one of my other threads that it didn't need to be that long. From that discussion, I figured I could make it shorter and increase the flow to my DT. Now, it seems like the DT can't drain quickly enough to satisfy the return pump. It holds a higher water level now..it actually touches the glass cross support at the top of my tank. I also have to fill up the sump more often. At the same time, my skimmer apprears to be on the skids. It actually started pulling a lot of water up into the collection cup and just over dinnertime filled up a 1 gallon bucket with water through its overflow tube.

Did taking 6 -8 inches off my return tubing really cause this much change in the system? How do I fix it? Ball valve on teh return line? If so, where does it go?

Old 02-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is the skimmer in the sump? Cause if so the elevated water level in the sump might be higher than the skimmers water level is supposed to be at causing skimmer to not work properly

Old 02-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes. Skimmer is in the sump.

So with shortened return tube = less head loss= less water in sump due to quicker return flow rate = more water in DT?

Now how does that coordinate w the skimmer? Lower water level means I need to adjust my skimmer somehow?

Then how does that play into lowering the water level in my DT- which is what I need to do. I'm afraid it's gonna overflow.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can someone please weigh in on the ball valve?
Old 02-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Is there some way you can increase flow OUT of your DT? lower overflow height, straighter flow to sump etc so you can keep the higher flow.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 02-08-2014, 12:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't know if I can do that, Stachie. My tank has a built in overflow box. Is there a way to adjust it? Does that white pipe with the "basket" on top adjust somehow? I'm still fairly new with all of the equipment and was probably just lucky that it all worked right in the first place. I never had to tweak any of the equipment.....until now...and something clearly isn't right.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

sounds like you will need to keep adjusting your skimmer while you sort this out. If you can move the overflow pipe so it sits at a lower level that should help. Have you checked nothing is being blocked anywhere? algae, snails other debris...
Is your return pump adjustable? If it is that will affect water level too.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Giving you some pics so you can see the setup. There is a "basket" for lack of a better term on the end of the pvc pipe at the bottom of the pic. Dint know if that pipe adjusts in any way. Sump is directly below the overflow box. The hose is in a swirl/slide per recommendation of the LFS. I Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391870960.805352.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	221390Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391870985.234809.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	221391Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391871017.430907.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	221392*think* the skimmer is supposed to have a Venturi valve that controls how much air goes in? If so that is missing/broken. The arm that disperses the clean water from the skimmer adjusts up and down but until the aforementioned overflow accident it never made a difference what position it was in.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm no expert on skimmers but my best advice is make small adjustments and let it sit for a while to see how it reacts. see if you can remove any of those strainers/baskets and clean off any debris.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good idea. There is a lot of algae growing in that area. Could be slowing things down

Tags
val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com