Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Do I need an aquarium stand?

I was wondering if a stand or platform of some sort is necessary for a fish tank. I'm planning on getting my second tank, a 10 gallon one, to house fish too small to live with my bigger fish in my 55 gallon, which has a stand. Can a tank of this size be fine on the floor or are there negative effects with doing this? I would assume stands are just for aesthetics and easier access but I'm not sure if there are unintended consequences with placing an aquarium on the floor. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only problem keeping it on the floor is getting a siphon going since the drain needs to be lower then the intake.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ29DJ View Post
I was wondering if a stand or platform of some sort is necessary for a fish tank. I'm planning on getting my second tank, a 10 gallon one, to house fish too small to live with my bigger fish in my 55 gallon, which has a stand. Can a tank of this size be fine on the floor or are there negative effects with doing this? I would assume stands are just for aesthetics and easier access but I'm not sure if there are unintended consequences with placing an aquarium on the floor. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Yes you can keep a 10gl on the floor, but as mentioned, gets tougher to siphon water during PWC's.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would think/wonder if it would be stressful on the fish to be down so low compared to everything else? Kind of like when you see fish in the wild in lakes or creeks, how they swim away when they notice shadows from above. Also, would it be easier for dust/dirt to get into tank, even with the lid?
10 Gal - Betta tank
KryptiCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
I'd be more concerned about the 4 legged family pet make it's way into the tank. I could see fido deciding to take a drink from the tank instead of the toilet bowl.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

A 10 should be light enough to put on an end table by a couch... Nice for company to look at while sitting on your couch. I have mine in the kitchen on a wooden storage stand. I agree caring for the tank on the floor would be a pain.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #7
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have a tank on the bottom shelf of my stand and hate it
never can get water to siphon
thank god for wet/dry vac but it's fast never can control what it sucks up especially a nosy fish

Tags
aquarium, aquarium stand, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com