Do I need an aquarium stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CJ29DJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if a stand or platform of some sort is necessary for a fish tank. I'm planning on getting my second tank, a 10 gallon one, to house fish too small to live with my bigger fish in my 55 gallon, which has a stand. Can a tank of this size be fine on the floor or are there negative effects with doing this? I would assume stands are just for aesthetics and easier access but I'm not sure if there are unintended consequences with placing an aquarium on the floor. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

The only problem keeping it on the floor is getting a siphon going since the drain needs to be lower then the intake.

I was wondering if a stand or platform of some sort is necessary for a fish tank. I'm planning on getting my second tank, a 10 gallon one, to house fish too small to live with my bigger fish in my 55 gallon, which has a stand. Can a tank of this size be fine on the floor or are there negative effects with doing this? I would assume stands are just for aesthetics and easier access but I'm not sure if there are unintended consequences with placing an aquarium on the floor. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Yes you can keep a 10gl on the floor, but as mentioned, gets tougher to siphon water during PWC's.

I would think/wonder if it would be stressful on the fish to be down so low compared to everything else? Kind of like when you see fish in the wild in lakes or creeks, how they swim away when they notice shadows from above. Also, would it be easier for dust/dirt to get into tank, even with the lid?

I'd be more concerned about the 4 legged family pet make it's way into the tank. I could see fido deciding to take a drink from the tank instead of the toilet bowl.

A 10 should be light enough to put on an end table by a couch... Nice for company to look at while sitting on your couch. I have mine in the kitchen on a wooden storage stand. I agree caring for the tank on the floor would be a pain.

I have a tank on the bottom shelf of my stand and hate it
never can get water to siphon
thank god for wet/dry vac but it's fast never can control what it sucks up especially a nosy fish

Back
Top Bottom