Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2006, 05:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy
Thanks for the advice! I brought the tank up 2 flights of stairs today to get it from the garage to my living room and it only took 5 grown men to do it! Haha!
I believe it.... my arms were gonna fall off with 2 of us moving my 100 gallon about 15 yards..... I would sell my house and buy a 1 story, or find a place on the first floor for it
My dad is a structural engineer and he seems pretty confident that it will hold just fine. I guess what it really comes down to is how high the water level is and over how many square feet it's spread over.

My tank will only hold 100-120G of water. It wont ever be full. Even so I'm looking at about 1000lbs total. My first floor is actually above the garage so if the tank falls through the floor it will total one of the cars as well. Talk about a blaze of glory!

37G Puffer Tank
(1) Tetraodon nigroviridis

200G Mangrove Swamp (Under Construction)
Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:25 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to sudz
I know that i don't have the perfect setup for my tank. I used 3 pieces of cardboard from the box i got my perfecto 44 gallon hex in... used an exacto knife to cut it out... stacked em up, and placed the tank on top. The tank is on a high-quality highdensity fiberboard desk, with a dresser underneth the desk supporting it. THe desk isn't on legs, it has full sheets of MDF as its "walls" on 2 sides, and another on the next section of the desk, My only real concern was AFTER i set up the tank... i noticed it wasn't perfectly level. In fact, the water level varies about a half inch from the front of the tank to the back of the tank. My dad said this floor was tilted at the wall anyway, my desk just exxagerated it.

My test to see if it would hold the 500 pounds was getting on the desk with my brother, and jumping up and down as hard as we could at the same time. It held for 5 minutes of this punish, then i checked everything for cracks, shifting, bows and splinters...

It sitll makes me nervous though... i don't lean on the desk, thats for sure!

5 Gallon Guppy tank (Daughters tank)
sudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:45 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
I've never heard of this till now either, thats a really good and simple idea to keep stress off the glass
Old 02-23-2006, 01:52 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wasn't able to get the polystyrene in time. Home Depot sells it in huge sheets that I couldn't fit in my car anyway... I'll need to go back and get some and cut it up in the parking lot. Yesterday was the only time I could get enough people together to move it. I'll just have to lift one corner at a time and have my wife slip pieces of foam under the bracing I guess.

How crucial is it?

37G Puffer Tank
(1) Tetraodon nigroviridis

200G Mangrove Swamp (Under Construction)
Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foam, glass, glass tank, styrofoam, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com