Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Krylon spray paint worked just fine on every tank I've ever painted. Just do many light coats so you don't get drips.

I use flat black and clean the glass with rubbing alcohol first.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
watch spraying, some of it could get in the tank. get a small can of the color you want and use a smooth roller, one of the small ones

tonedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
you could always paint a backing and then Attach to the Tank.

I've painted exterior Blue installation Foam (comes in sheets) easy to cut and water resistant. It can attach easily with some tape. (light and durable)

This way if you want to change colors, just repaint the background.

I would use a latex or Water based on the Foam....benefit to this is low odor plus no damage to the Foam.
60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Pton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Originally Posted by Gish View Post
since my post, i've seen a lot of forum members' pictures of their tanks with the same ocean floor background. it looks quite good. unfortunately I think the wife's going to win this one and I'm going without the background for now. maybe when she lets me upgrade to a bigger tank . . .

tonedogz- were you serious about the paint. what kind of paint will stick to the glass? i think the usual indoor acrylic would peel off.
I painted mine with a paint from Hobby Lobby that is made for painting glass and it looks great. I used a 4" cheap roller to put it on (3 coats took 4 bottles on my 90 tall tank).

Personally, I hate looking through the tank. I have some that are a pic and others that are a solid color. As others said, it depends on what you like.
Why do I love fish? Because every time I stare into the little world I have created for them, every problem I have just floats away....
Retired_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
I personally hate backgrounds because they look fake and cheap 99% of the time. I always paint the back of my tanks black. I think this is the best way to get your fish and corals to pop.

75G SPS Bare Bottom Reef
4g Nano LPS Reef
40g Fowlr
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com