Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Do i really need to reinforce my stand?

I bought a 32G used with a stand. The stand was a little to small for the tank in width but seeing as the tanks seal was in bad shape he must've had that stand for a while. I will put a piece of plywood or particle board on the stand to fully cover the base but is it necessary to reinforce? If so what is the cheapest way and how would i do this. Keep in mind i'm 15 but have a job.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

How much overhang will you have over the stand if you add a piece of plywood? My first inclination is that all you would need is a piece of 3/4" ply since the stand is the same length as the stand. The fact that the stand is too narrow is less of a factor if the over hang is very slight. You don't want to make the stand unstable by having the top much wider than the base. Another possibility is to add a piece the same size as the top to the bottom so you have a pedestal effect. It is difficult to say without a few more details.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

the top of the stand is 31 3/4'' x 12'' the bottom is the same in length but 14'' in width. I want to cut the plywood to 32 1/2'' by 14''

The tank measures: 31 1/2'' by 13 3/4''

The only problem is the peice of plywood i have is like 6 feet in legnth and is pretty wide. I don't know how i would transport i to my hardware store. I have the tools but i'm 15 and my dad is real busy but i think after he sees the trouble it is to bring the wood to the HW store he'll cut it...i hope

Tags
stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com