Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 106
I think the cheapest for me was amazon. I constantly have to fight shipping prices, and amazon offers "real" free shipping (unlike most others that exclude hawaii and alaska). But if you live in the lower 48 you can find places that don't charge you $40 for s&h. Yes, mh do have a "break in" period, but the visible color shift isn't going to be very dramatic. So if it fires up white, in 100 hours it isn't going to burn in and be blue later. Sounds like the brown algae is diatoms, which will go away on it's own time. The green algae you need to be a little more descriptive about it since that can be any number of types of algae.
__________________

__________________
MrPeon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeon99 View Post
I think the cheapest for me was amazon. I constantly have to fight shipping prices, and amazon offers "real" free shipping (unlike most others that exclude hawaii and alaska). But if you live in the lower 48 you can find places that don't charge you $40 for s&h. Yes, mh do have a "break in" period, but the visible color shift isn't going to be very dramatic. So if it fires up white, in 100 hours it isn't going to burn in and be blue later. Sounds like the brown algae is diatoms, which will go away on it's own time. The green algae you need to be a little more descriptive about it since that can be any number of types of algae.
How can I describe the green algae? It is a green buildup on the glass. I run my halides 4 hours a day.

Should I be running them longer? shorter?
__________________

__________________
125 Gallon Reef Aquarium, Live Sand, 150lbs of Live Rock Chaeto in Refugium
ozorowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 106
During the break in period halide bulbs are actually losing the "power" they put out, until they finally settle to a constant out put. So no, your bulbs won't really "improve" any after the break in.
__________________
MrPeon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeon99 View Post
During the break in period halide bulbs are actually losing the "power" they put out, until they finally settle to a constant out put. So no, your bulbs won't really "improve" any after the break in.
Gotcha!

Just ordered 2 phoenix bulbs. I REALLY hope these do the trick! *fingers crossed*
__________________
125 Gallon Reef Aquarium, Live Sand, 150lbs of Live Rock Chaeto in Refugium
ozorowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 106
It's really up to you. No matter what you will always have to clean your glass at some point. On my 55gallon I had to clean the glass every other day. On my 150, it's about once a week. Both tanks I ran the same timers for lights.
__________________
MrPeon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeon99 View Post
It's really up to you. No matter what you will always have to clean your glass at some point. On my 55gallon I had to clean the glass every other day. On my 150, it's about once a week. Both tanks I ran the same timers for lights.
I was running the halides for 6 hours, and was getting TONS of algae growth.

Being that this tank is 2 months old or so what is the healthiest for my corals and fish at this point? How long should I run them for?
__________________
125 Gallon Reef Aquarium, Live Sand, 150lbs of Live Rock Chaeto in Refugium
ozorowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 106
Since your tank is only 2 months old, most of that will go away with time. I would try for around 8 hours. But you'll have to find a time that works for your tank considering your environment. In the winter I could run the lights 24/7 if it wouldn't kill my tank since the average out side temp is -20f, but in the summer since we don't have ac and the sun it out 20 hours of the day I have to run a lot of fans and open windows because the house will heat up to 80f
__________________
MrPeon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeon99 View Post
Since your tank is only 2 months old, most of that will go away with time. I would try for around 8 hours. But you'll have to find a time that works for your tank considering your environment. In the winter I could run the lights 24/7 if it wouldn't kill my tank since the average out side temp is -20f, but in the summer since we don't have ac and the sun it out 20 hours of the day I have to run a lot of fans and open windows because the house will heat up to 80f
well I live in FL and it is hot here often; and per the stick on glass thermometer it says the temp gets up to 83 often;

I ordered some fance which I'll use to blow across the water surface, but what about running the lights during the evenings; would that mess with the fish? Seeing "daylight" most of the night and then on into the morning is night even though they see the daylight outside through my windows?
My tank is in the center of my dining room about 15ft from the window for what its worth.
__________________
125 Gallon Reef Aquarium, Live Sand, 150lbs of Live Rock Chaeto in Refugium
ozorowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 106
You can run the lights later as well. Or you could run then a few hours in the morning and the a few hours in the even and have them off in the middle. I would get a submersible thermometer, the ones that sick to the glass can be very inaccurate
__________________

__________________
MrPeon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bulb, bulbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what t5 bulbs to use mississaugafish27 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 5 09-01-2011 01:33 AM
Par38 screw in bulbs Ratrob57 Nano Reefs 4 08-10-2011 12:01 AM
Replacement Halide bulbs hackteck General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 3 07-11-2011 07:42 PM
incandescent bulbs? New Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 4 07-10-2011 12:27 AM
1 -48 inch t5 v/s 2 24 inch t5 bulbs conkyy Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 5 07-05-2011 02:23 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.