Do you cover your tank with glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Komodo

Aquarium Advice Activist
My aquarium is completely covered with a top filter that stretches horizontally from end to end and the rest is also covered by three neon lights. Do I need to also add a glass cover or fiberglass cover?

You absolutely don't need to.

Just be prepared for bucket loads of evaporation.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You absolutely don't need to.

Just be prepared for bucket loads of evaporation.

This, i remember when i used to keep my larger tanks, my 220 would even lose up to 1 inch of water in a couple day to a week.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

I loose aprox a gallon a day in evaporation , thank god for auto top off ,
on my 90g I have a 30g auto top off tank and my 37g I have a 10g auto top off tank ,
makes life so much easier , it was one of the best investments I made for my tanks

I loose aprox a gallon a day in evaporation , thank god for auto top off ,
on my 90g I have a 30g auto top off tank and my 37g I have a 10g auto top off tank ,
makes life so much easier , it was one of the best investments I made for my tanks

what is an auto top off?

what is an auto top off?

A machine that detects water level and adds as water evaporates to maintain a certain water level. Very commonly used in salt water aquaria due to the ammounts of salt increasing in ppm when water evaporates.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

Don't forget to assess the kind of fish you are keeping. Some are born jumpers. I love topless aquariums, but about half of mine have lids just because of jumping issues.

This is an excellent idea, thanks.

Glad I could help !! On a side note, I've always been informed to use the white. They make a silvery type also but have heard it may flake off and not good for the tank should it fall in.

Back
Top Bottom