Do you ground your tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I read a article a while back about you should ground your tank if you have submerge pumps. (reduces fish stress by removing charge from the water) I have 2 submerged pumps but they are in the sump. Does anyone ground their tank or have input on this.

For the cost of the grounding probe why not do it?? I have one on both of my tanks. Figured it can't hurt to have it...
Fish some big $$$ so what another $15

Grounding is important. You figure Lights, pumps, heaters and skimmers there has to be some stray static electricity. Ground probe will send this out to your ground causing less stress on your tankmates. IMO a very wise investment

Dang Steve really?? Wow!

I stuck my hand in my sump one day and got a little jolt from my mag pump. I added a grounding probe....

Should I:

A) Take it out

B) Leave it in

C) Leave it in and unplug it

D) All of the abov

:p :p :p

No seriously should I evict it?

Take out the probe IMO. You are better off without it. If there is an actual faulty piece of wiring and you put your hand in the tank.... zap

No probe... no zap. If you know something caused a jolt, replace it.

GFCI's are a much better idea.

Cheers
Steve

Glad to see someone posted an article regarding this. I've always preached "current kills, not voltage". The only thing I'd consider a grounding probe for is to detect whether or not your other devices are putting out stray voltage (potential current) -- so you can replace those devices. There is a ton of electical equipment surrounding your miniature ocean. A seriously dangerous combination. :)

I liked the note about fish swimming away from, or avoiding current flows (current being electrical, not water motion) -- very interesting thought. I've noticed fish will stay in certain areas due to rock formation, lighting, and water flow -- electrical, hmm. Any daredevils out there feel like experimenting by putting a tiny amount of current through your water to see how your fish react?? :roll: Seriously kidding of course. :lol:

Actually that is a old redneck fishing trick using a telephone generator. stick the wires in the water and wind it up and the fish will jump out of the water trying to get away from it. PS. dynamite works too. Never seen it done but heard about it :D

I found more info on the net supporting the use of a ground probe then say not to use it.
Like other things in this hobby there are many opinions on this subject.
I will be keeping my GP in the tanks..

Grounding "probe"... probe is typically used for a testing device. Not a usage device.

*shrugs*

Just a thought.

Steve that was a shocker. But it sure made sense to me. I guess I `m going to have to remove mine. Thanks Steve

When i had my trigger (undulate little sob he was) he actually bit through the wiring for one of my pumps.. and everytime i cleaned the tank for about 4 weeks i was getting shocked.. i was like wat the hell.. must be the salt stinging my cut on my hand.. but no i was getting electrocuted HAHAHA.. the voltage doesnt harm the fish.. but as soon as u stick your hand in their... u complete the circuit :idea: 8O my hair albert einstein for a day or two..!

Does anybody have articles to support ground probes. That was one heck of an article from Steve. The only things Ive seen that support them are dealers that sell them. We know they want to make a deal. Just wish I could find an objective piece

Back
Top Bottom