Do you have a filter on your return pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TLTGF

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a reef tank, and it seems that whenever I do a pwc, I immediately need to do another because as soon as my pump kicks on it sends out a TON of nasty crap flying into the tank.

I'm not sure if this is because I have no filter on my pump, or what it is exactly.

that nasty crap will get eaten and collected by the skimmer, and it's good to free it from the pipe. it's not from the sump.
i don't use a filter on my return pump though, because i don't want tiny critters to be restricted from heading back to the DT.

I initially thought that it was coming from the sump because I had a good 1/2" of detritus build-up - but last week or so I removed my sump, took out all the rock - and cleaned the sump out. The next water change the same thing happened.

My pump is in the sump.

I just wanted to make sure all of the stuff getting kicked out wasn't going to add a bunch of nitrates or other undesirables... It settles out pretty quickly, within 30-45 minutes, I can't even notice.

As I said, I just wanted to ensure it wasn't detrimental to the water quality.

I also didn't have a filter for the same reason - lots of pods in sump.

Right... Out of sight, out of mind. I can't believe I didn't think of that. LOL!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom