Do you lubricate the o-rings in your eheim canister when cleaning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arenaranger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I am currently running a eheim 2215 and will also be running a 2217 in a short while once I upgrade to my 90 gallon from my existing 65 gallon.

I am wondering what others do regarding the o-rings that are part of the canister system. Mainly the top large o-ring and the double tap o-rings. A while ago, I had one of the double tap o-rings begin leaking when I put it back together. I replaced the double tap at that time and started lubricating my o-rings at that time. I have not had a leak since then. I am using the product below and it has been fantastic and readily available and cheap. It does not cause any problems in the tank.

Amazon.com: Super Lube Synthetic Grease with Syncolon Multi Purpose Lubricant 3 oz: Automotive

What do any of you do regarding the o-rings?

I never use anything but my fingers when doing my canister cleanings. Vaseline will eat rubber over time, but not neoprene. The trick is, what are the o rings we have made from? I rather not chance it as I dont have spares laying around, although I should.

I never use anything but my fingers when doing my canister cleanings. Vaseline will eat rubber over time, but not neoprene. The trick is, what are the o rings we have made from? I rather not chance it as I dont have spares laying around, although I should.

+1 I never use any chemicals, I do make sure they are never dry though by taking tank water on my finger and running it along the length of the O-ring

i always use olive oil, any food safe oil is fine and a lot cheaper that the eheim spray

I always use Vaseline on all o-rings, but I might give that grease a try.

I always use Vaseline on all o-rings, but I might give that grease a try.

This grease really is the Cats A%! in my opinion. It is non toxic, certified by the NSF for incidental food contact and is completely non water soluble so it doesn't leach (sp?) into your aquarium water at all. It just stays put and keeps things lubricated and sealed. Completely safe for aquarium use in my opinion and 2 years of experience using it has produced zero problems.

1 Tube will last you a lifetime. Ithink I paid something like $7 for it from my local hardware store in Ontario, Canada.

Back
Top Bottom