Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2007, 02:19 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

You may want to look at The WaveMaster Pro. It also alternates the on/off of the power heads, but with a choice of patterns.

You may want to go with a pair of the Koralia 1 power heads. Aim them towards the same spot or at each other to create a chaotic water flow.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
ahhh you guys are confusing me!!! lol. I love the maxijets but then again thats all i have had experience with... So all in all im a noob lol.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have both maxi-jets and the hydor phs. Maxi-jets are awesome for a strong direct flow, but you have to watch the intakes, sometimes they will suck in your critters. I have seen my snails crawl accross the hydors and clean them without them getting sucked in. I have found the hydors definitely need to be cleaned at least once a month. I just soak in vinegar and use a toothbrush to clean them.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

The MaxiJets have grated intake covers (at least the MJ1200's I have do), so I've had a critter get sucked into one. I much prefer the wider flow from the Koralia's.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i'm currently setting up my first reef tank, a 37g with a planned 10g sump, and i too was wondering about the number of PHs to get. i'd like to have maybe 20-30x turnover

going from what i've read, i'm thinking of two Hydor Koralia #2's (600GPH) positioned on opposite sides of tank facing the center. or perhaps 3 #1's (400GPH) with the same position but with the third flowing along the back of the tank behind the LR. two #3's 850GPH each might work too...

a few people who've bought the 1's or 2's said they wished they'd get the 3's or 4's, but is 2400GPH a bit overkill for a tank like mine?

my LFS said that just 2 powerheads would do the job for me.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

You want to aim for a flow of 10x-20x tank capacity. That would be for all water movement including the main pump. I think 2 of the Koralia 2's would be good. I have 2 of the #3's in my 125, plus a Seio and my 700gph return pump.

I would put the two on the opposite sides of the back wall facing the front center wall. That should give you great all around flow in the tank.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:36 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have had the hydor rotating tip thing (lol sorry) for months, and it works really well for me. Actually I had 2, one on either side. Anyway, my new plan is to have the hydor tip on my return (from the sump) right in the middle of the back-topish of the tank, then have 2 koralias in either top-back corner both facing towards the center of the tank. This way (in theory), the rotating head will disturb the flow of the 2 koralias as it spins on it's axis. Also, with the rotating head positioned this way, it will agitate the surface on every rotation too.

I donno if it will work, but it's worth a shot. Maybe you could consider something similar, with more or less of each product.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com