Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
do you recommend these?

These seem like a good idea but are they? lol thanks.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3&pcatid=11363

Old 11-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I get the money I am going to purchase the Maxi-jet wavemaker I like the fact that it is set on a timer and you can alter the wave frequency. http://www.fostersmith.com/product/p...1&pcatid=12061

Old 11-17-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Thats a good idea what size powerheads do you think i will need for my 37G? And do I really need 3 with running a sump?
Old 11-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't recommend the rotating deflector for saltwater. Everything I've heard about them is that they're great for a bit, then the mechanical stuff gets encrusted and stops working.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Makes sense. I guess maybe i will go with the wave system but again how may PH's do I really need running a sump in a 37G tank
Old 11-17-2007, 11:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally... and just my opinion as I've never dabbled with them... but I think most the wavemakers out there are overrated. I mean, they're just timers that cycle your powerheads on and off. It's not the random/chaotic flow pattern you really want, it's just not constant. Seems like it'd still be a cyclical pattern, and a pattern is a pattern. The surge-type wavemakers seems like they might make more sense, but for small tanks they just take up too much room.

Personally, with a 37g, I'd just go with a couple powerheads with some creative "bank shots" of rocks or glass to get a somewhat chaotic flow pattern. I started out with MaxiJets in my 46g and liked them, but have since switched them out. The Hydor Koralias really give a lot bigger flow "cone" and it seems to make it easier to make a more chaotic pattern. Don't let the high flow rates on the Koralias fool you - the #2 at 600 gph in reality is more like a MaxiJet 900 at 230 gph... it's just a wider flow pattern.

But... if you're going with a wavemaker, I'd suggest 3 powerheads I suppose since they all won't be on at the same time. That's probably the right amount. Maybe 3x MaxiJet 900s? You can always start without a wavemaker and then add it later if you feel you need it. With or without a wavemaker, you're going to move your powerheads around 4 or 5 five times before you find the "right" combination. And then after you start adding corals, you start moving them again!

But I really like the Koralias!
Old 11-19-2007, 01:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

cool thanks for the input I agree with you on the fact that it doesnt really seem like it would be "wavy" just by shutting off and turning on powerheads. I also like the maxijets i had them in my last tank and I never had a problem with them.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

The rotating deflectors work great. Yes, they do need to be maintained. Once a month you need to pull it out and take it apart to clean it. That's about a 5 minute process. I used to soak them overnight in white vinegar then thoroughly scrub and rinse them in tap water. That removed all coralline algae traces and made them look and work like new, but it take more than 5 minutes. I have since switched to the Hydor Koralia 3 ph's for much increased flow.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
my LFS had soem installed in a couple of there tanks, seemed pretty cool, I would buy one IMO
Old 11-20-2007, 12:58 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now you are making me re-consider purchasing the Maxi-jet wave maker system it seemed pretty cool. What would be a good purchase to make for a 46gallon if I was to choose the Hydor Koralias instead of the Maxi-jets????

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com