Do you think dual HOB filters are worth the extra price?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29 gallon tank that i will be setting up around a Bolivian Ram as a centerpiece fish. I want to set things up to what would be best, but is it really worth getting 2 filters? Ive read that it is good for maintenance and such, but does it offer any other upsides other than maybe less of a concentrated flow?

Also, i should go by gallon per hour, right? I have an aquaclear HOB on my other tank and it seems good so im thinking of sticking with that for the ease of filter media setup. I beleive id need 200 gph, so for one filter id want the one rated for "up to 50 gallons" or 200gph. And for two filters, i would instead get two of the "up to 20" ones because they are rated 100 gph each? Seems straight forward but the so called up to 40 gallons of the second option has me overthinking

No need to overthink. Aquaclear have adjustable flow. If this was my tank, I'd run 2 Aquaclear 70s. One for extra biomedia and one stuff full of pads and filter floss. The only time over filtration is a bad thing is when your fish literally can't handle the current. That won't happen anytime soon so over filtrate all you want. I run double filtration on my 10,40,45, and 75g. Keeps the water crystal clear and it eases off all the waste going to one filter.

That's my opinion.

Caleb

No need to overthink. Aquaclear have adjustable flow. If this was my tank, I'd run 2 Aquaclear 70s. One for extra biomedia and one stuff full of pads and filter floss. The only time over filtration is a bad thing is when your fish literally can't handle the current. That won't happen anytime soon so over filtrate all you want. I run double filtration on my 10,40,45, and 75g. Keeps the water crystal clear and it eases off all the waste going to one filter.

That's my opinion.

Caleb

Thats quite a bit of flow for such a small tank lol or i thought anyways

It really isn't a ton. I run a canister rated at 100 gallons and a HOB for 110 gallons on full capacity in my 75g. I might even add a powerhead soon.

Caleb

Agree. I had one C3 (essentially same 50 gallon filtration rating as AC50 by the same Company-Fluval) running on my 29 gallon tanks and it was "adequate" and it kept water crystal clear. [I later moved to my 38 gallon along with other filters].

I now have one Fluval C4 (rated for "up to 70 gallon tanks same as AC70) and on max flow of 256 gph the fish get the "rip current" effect so I run it about 2/3 to 3/4 speed.

[Stock includes 1 angelfish, two dwarf Gourami, & two Kribensis cichlids which are constantly breeding.]

Agree. I had one C3 (essentially same 50 gallon filtration rating as AC50 by the same Company-Fluval) running on my 29 gallon tanks and it was "adequate" and it kept water crystal clear. [I later moved to my 38 gallon along with other filters].

I now have one Fluval C4 (rated for "up to 70 gallon tanks same as AC70) and on max flow of 256 gph the fish get the "rip current" effect so I run it about 2/3 to 3/4 speed.

[Stock includes 1 angelfish, two dwarf Gourami, & two Kribensis cichlids which are constantly breeding.]

That's with an angelfish. They like a slower flow because that's the way their body is designed. Whereas other more slender fish enjoy a current in a tank. Just because it looks like they are fighting a current doesn't mean they are struggling. Many fish enjoy playing in the current because in the wild they would have varying currents from still to rapids.

Caleb

I was thinking last night about getting one AC70 to be safe, but now im not entirely sure if the extra current would be an issue. The guppies we have in my other tank have fun with the 50 gallon filter, so it might not be an issue. Im thinking for the cost difference considering each teir of rating only increases a few bucks it seems, its probably fine to just get one "massive" filter instead. Unless filters have a tendency to die easily and leave my fish without anything? Im more worried atm about a breif couple minute power outage screwing things up one day since my other one needs to be primed each time it seems :/

I was thinking last night about getting one AC70 to be safe, but now im not entirely sure if the extra current would be an issue. The guppies we have in my other tank have fun with the 50 gallon filter, so it might not be an issue. Im thinking for the cost difference considering each teir of rating only increases a few bucks it seems, its probably fine to just get one "massive" filter instead. Unless filters have a tendency to die easily and leave my fish without anything? Im more worried atm about a breif couple minute power outage screwing things up one day since my other one needs to be primed each time it seems :/

Aquaclear only need to be primed during water changes so need to worry about that.

Caleb

I run dual HOBS along with sponges(air driven) on all my grow out tanks.
2@ aquaclear 70 on a 55g(with 2 large sponge)
2@ Aquaclear 50 on a 33 long(with 2 sponges)
2@ aquaclear 110 on a 75g(with 2 sponges)
and so on!(not up to 400 g of breeders yet!For real).
These are all for GBR so current shouldn't be a concern for many other fish IMO?
They only need to be primed if you let evaporation lower the water level too much or leave them running like mentioned during wc.
Keep up on your tank man!!!
I have extensions for all the AQ intakes I ordered from kens(good deal on filters and food).
Aquaclear Filter Parts
All dry goods can be found cheaper online !

Thanks for the replies, guys! So ill probably try an AC70 filter then and i should be good. And wouldnt it need to be primed again if it sat off for a bit ina filled tank? Ive never gave it the chance to run dry but assumed it would need thatboost

Back
Top Bottom