Does anyone have a marineland double bright leds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beau_123

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone have a marineland double bright leds if so do you think they work for a reef tank.

Not bright enough.. you may be able to keep some stuff alive but they are far from being reef capable

I have them on my FOWLR. Wouldn't think they'd be bright enough for my reef.

those light are actually very bad for reef, they have a reef bright one but cost way too much

Is there anything I can add to the double brights to get more light.

You can keep corals under 6000k. They just won't look very colorful. What size tank do you have Beau_123?
What photosynthetic creatures do you intend to keep?

I have a 55g and as of now I have one zoa one toadstool and two clown fish.

Ok, so what do you intend to add? Sps? Clams? Anemones? For these, strong lighting is necessary. moderate lighting is all you need for what you have now.
Do you have a canopy over your tank?

I will probably want to keep some frogspawns and as my tank gets older some clams and nems. I do not have a canopy.

Then you want something potent. the question now is -what are you willing to spend?
I use Chinese made LED fixtures over my system that will enable you to keep whatever you want. They don't have a lot of control however. Basically, they are dimmable per a pair of knobs, and they have separate plugs for blue and white LEDs, but nothing more. You would need 2 of these at about $150.00 a piece. There are many other suitable units, but these are about the cheapest.

sorry I think I should of made my point a bit clear, 6000K is able to keep coral, but at the same time because it is favour in red and green, it would also promote unwanted algae grow even more. As far as for fixtures, I would suggest to research first before you make your choice, especially the cost and differences on different LED chips. How much control you looking for over your fixtures and how much you are willing to pay for. brand name products using higher quality materials but will cost range from 399 to over 1k depend on the size of your tank. Chinese brand LED can go from $120 to $500 depend on the brand of LED they use, color they use and also the functions they add to the fixtures.

I had a question for you if you have the double brights - are the bulbs replaceable or are you SOL once they burn out?

Back
Top Bottom