Does anyone know this light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NiaCas

Aquarium Advice Activist
http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Light-Bulbs-Watts-Fresh/dp/B00AAHPXOG

I found this same light for under $80 on ebay. Can't find a brand name on it though to see how ok the company is. Would like some feedback if anyone's had this light before. I really want to replace the single T8 bulb fixture that's flickering a lot on one of my 55g's with something better, but I don't have $180 for another Catalina light right now. As much as I like my current Catalina light, I really just need something super cheap that'll work ok. I like that this light flips up and I have access to some 54w t5ho 10K bulbs at about half price from a local guy, so I can replace a couple of the bulbs in this fixture if I need to. It comes with 2 x t5ho 54w 6500k bulbs and 2 x t5ho 54w true actinic bulbs (allegedly). I'd replace the actinic bulbs first.

Actually, i think it's a foreign ad that's been translated. This is why the lamps are unclear, but I believe they are saying they will give you 2 daylights and 2 blues, or 6500k lamps if you are wanting to use this for a planted tank.
What are your plans with this fixture? It's a run of the mill Chinese fixture. Nothing wonderful, but not much different than a Catalina unit IMO.

I'm hoping to improve the health of the plants in this 55 with this light. The amazon and oriental swords and the red tiger lotus are doing ok, but I've also got java ferns that aren't doing so hot. I've got one big bunch of java moss that has stayed a lush green and another bunch that turned brown. I've also got a bunch of anubias, some water sprite, some jungle and leopard val, and a friend is giving me some potamogeton gayi. Basically, I need moderate lighting for plants. One t8 bulb is so not cutting it lol

Oh, then this will be a big help. I would use a 6500k, and a 10k, along with the 2 blue lamps though, which I believe would give you a really nice look and a lot more light.
I think you'll need the 2 blues to tone down the yellow produced by the two daylights....simply for aesthetics.

What about for the plants? I keep reading that actinic lights are useless for plants :/

Back
Top Bottom