Does anyone use the Reefkeeper controller?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregcoyote

Aquarium Advice Addict
Am thinking about finally buying a Internet capable controller and like the Reefkeeper. Mostly want it for sensors.

Last edited:
I am too impatient for y'all. I ordered the Elite with the net option. I am going to adapt it to talk to my router wirelessly. The old tank goes computer.

Just ordered apex lite with ph probe. So excited. Biggest purchase to date. I am also going away on business next week so I'll be able to use monitor on my iPhone

Just got it setup. Works great. Only disappointment is that the bus cables that connect everything are not cat5 but phone cables that are modified for data (straight thru). This is a pain as I can make cat5 cables but need a different tool to make these. It also means since the data isn't IP based, I can't use wireless technology to place a module down in my fish room. Have to run a old fashioned phone cable...drats!

It was a bit of a pain as it isn't real clear at first how data recording and such were handled. But it makes sense now.

Is that the reefkeeper? I will be getting my apex Monday

Yes it was. I figure I could add modules down the road. Definite want to add conductivity module and probe for 160 or so I think.

I just ordered the second sensor module that adds salinity. With the ORP probe it is a pretty comprehensive system that they seem keen on enhancing.

One BIG downside. The graphing capability they show in their ads on using the head unit has been dropped without telling anyone. You can graph if you connect up a computer, but not stand alone anymore. Had I known this, I would not have purchased this unit as I was after something that could give me a visual trend without a PC being on all the time. "Oh, by the way, that unit you bought doesn't do what it says it can do anymore, sorry" doesn't cut it with me.

I still havent figured out the graphing. how does it work? I usually program with my netbook so I would be using a computer. :)

thanks for any help you can give me on this! other than that i am more than pleased with my RKE.

carey said:
I still havent figured out the graphing. how does it work? I usually program with my netbook so I would be using a computer. :)

thanks for any help you can give me on this! other than that i am more than pleased with my RKE.

There are two methods. First logging has to be enabled for the sensor you want to graph. You can connect with MyReef2.0 and the USB cord they provide to your netbook or desktop. If you have the NET module, you can plug the system module into your router and interface with the RKE's built in web page. Both will allow you to bring up graphs.

How do I enable the sensor? Is it in myreef2.0 somehwere? i see graphs on the left side screen but there isnt anything underneath it.

carey said:
How do I enable the sensor? Is it in myreef2.0 somehwere? i see graphs on the left side screen but there isnt anything underneath it.

I think it's under the tab "logging" it starts to build a file that the system uses to produce the graph. It may not work without the NET module though. The web interface is a bit more comprehensive than MyReef surprisingly.

I have had the Reefkeeper for almost a month now and the head unit has blanked out. Called Digital Aquatics and with a credit card, they are cross shipping me a new one. Evidently there have been issues with these head units failing. While I like the unit in general, I cannot recommend it at this time as a result of this failure.

Back
Top Bottom