Does Size And Shape Really Matter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rollin007

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm looking to start up a saltwater tank. I have 2 big tanks that I used a while ago for some freshwater fish. I have a 90 gallon high and a 120 (I believe) long, give or take a few or more gallons. It's been a long time since I even messed with it.
Can someone please give me their expert advice on me making my "90 gallon high" tank into a saltwater tank? The tank is about 3 feet tall, maybe a little taller, but not much, the width is a little less than 2.5' and the depth is about a foot and a half... Sorry, I don't have the exact measurements, I not at home at the moment... I can get the measurements, if someone tells me that it could be used for a good tank for saltwater... I still have that 120 gallon long, but that thing is huge and I was thinking about just saving that tank for sharks or something. So any input would be nice.:thanks:

I'm looking to start up a saltwater tank. I have 2 big tanks that I used a while ago for some freshwater fish. I have a 90 gallon high and a 120 (I believe) long, give or take a few or more gallons. It's been a long time since I even messed with it.
Can someone please give me their expert advice on me making my "90 gallon high" tank into a saltwater tank? The tank is about 3 feet tall, maybe a little taller, but not much, the width is a little less than 2.5' and the depth is about a foot and a half... Sorry, I don't have the exact measurements, I not at home at the moment... I can get the measurements, if someone tells me that it could be used for a good tank for saltwater... I still have that 120 gallon long, but that thing is huge and I was thinking about just saving that tank for sharks or something. So any input would be nice.:thanks:

There are a couple of thoughts about saltwater tanks: The more water volume, the better... and, Since fish don't usually swim up and down per say, the longer the tank the better.
In my experience, either can be made into a saltwater tank with this caviat: you should be very selective as to which fish you put into the 90. Fish that need a lot of swimming space or grow rather large will probably not do very well in a short ( length wise) but tall tank. There are a lot of fish you can use in there but there are a lot that shouldn't go in there as well so research, research, research before adding fish.
As for the 120 for sharks, again, you need to be selective as to which sharks to put in there. Cat shark types ( that walk along the bottom of the tank) will do much better in a rectangular shaped tank than any active swimmers like leopard sharks, dogfish, hound shark types. These types really do much better in rounded type tanks as they do have a history of being injured in the corners of tanks.

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks for the reply back! That makes plenty of sense.. I was thinking about putting my 125 gallon saltwater tank by the same wall that my TV is mounted to. There will be about a foot or so between the two.. Do you think the salty moisture will rise up and eventually ruin the TV? I know It sounds far fetched, but it would be my luck that the saltwater from the filters and just from the tank itself, will rise up screw up my TV.

Thanks for the reply back! That makes plenty of sense.. I was thinking about putting my 125 gallon saltwater tank by the same wall that my TV is mounted to. There will be about a foot or so between the two.. Do you think the salty moisture will rise up and eventually ruin the TV? I know It sounds far fetched, but it would be my luck that the saltwater from the filters and just from the tank itself, will rise up screw up my TV.

The salt creep, over the course of a couple years +\- could definitely erode the metal components to your TV eventually, so be careful with that. Having a hood would definitely help slow the process down a lot, but it wouldn't be completely remove it from the equation. IMO

And if it were my choice, I'd go with the 120g. There are a lot more options for a long tank vs. tall tank. Not saying that you won't find much for the 90, but they'd pretty much all have to be nano fish because the length you require for larger fish isn't there. Plus it's easier to maintain a large tank rather than small, though it is more costly in the long run, but not much more than a 90g

Last edited:
Yeah after reading ur first response, I decided to go with the 120 g... Now I'm trying to find a good location. And the other locations are either hit by direct sunlight or in an awkward place for that size of tank.. My basement isn't very big.. my house is about 1400 sq feet.

Then once I get my location picked out, do u have any good advice on brands of equipment to buy thats good but not overly expensive.? I'm talking about filters with a battery backup, in case power goes out, heater, etc.

Back
Top Bottom