Does This Exist: A Filter Which Straddles a Center Brace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osage_Winter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would be interested in obtaining a (HOB) filter which actually "straddles" the center brace which sits on the top of my tank, keeping the glass from bowing -- ideally, it would boast dual waterfall returns, so the waterfalls would spill to either side of the brace.

Does something like this exist? My brace is pretty wide, so I'm guessing no...

I've never seen a filter like what you're describing. Most people keep hoods on their tanks and this type of filter would interfere with the hoods.

Also, I don't think the weight of a water filled filter would be good for a center brace. It may bow or break over time. I believe the center brace should not be used to support any undue weight.

I've never seen a filter like what you're describing. Most people keep hoods on their tanks and this type of filter would interfere with the hoods.

The thing is, I don't have a traditional "hood" -- what I have is a glass top which sits on the lip of the tank, all around, and which opens with two flaps up front to provide for feeding and maintenance; there is a good space between the back of this glass top and the back of the tank to hang an HOB filter (my Aqueons are hanging off the back on the left and right back sides)...then, a heavy wooden canopy covers all that, still leaving the space out back for filters.

So, I do have the space to hang a filter which would "straddle" the center brace in back...

Also, I don't think the weight of a water filled filter would be good for a center brace. It may bow or break over time. I believe the center brace should not be used to support any undue weight.

What I am describing wouldn't include hanging a filter ON the brace itself -- I am imagining a filter which would "straddle" the brace with the waterfall returns on either side of the brace, so it kind of sits like that on the back of the tank. There would be no physical contact with the brace...

I dont really see how that would be much different than putting two HOB's on either side of the brace... main difference would be that they're not connected and have separate intake tubes

What I am describing wouldn't include hanging a filter ON the brace itself -- I am imagining a filter which would "straddle" the brace with the waterfall returns on either side of the brace, so it kind of sits like that on the back of the tank. There would be no physical contact with the brace...

Is there any reason why you can't have the filter water falling down onto the brace itself and then into the tank?

I think I finally understand what you're looking for. You want a power filter that hangs on the back of the tank, but straddles the center brace. I thought you were looking for a filter that hung on the center brace.

I think the largest Marineland Penguin and Emperor would be your best bet. You'd have to do some modifications, specifically rerouting the intake pipe, but it could probably be done.

I do have to say, I agree with mfd that this wouldn't be much different than two HOBs on either side of the brace.

I dont really see how that would be much different than putting two HOB's on either side of the brace... main difference would be that they're not connected and have separate intake tubes

In reality, it wouldn't be...I just wanted the convenience and unique quality of a unit which is all-encompassing in this way; two intake pipes and dual waterfall returns.

I think I finally understand what you're looking for. You want a power filter that hangs on the back of the tank, but straddles the center brace.

Yes. I specified this in the original post, where I noted "straddling."

I thought you were looking for a filter that hung on the center brace.

No. I don't believe I indicated that anywhere; if I did, it was my mistake.

I think the largest Marineland Penguin and Emperor would be your best bet. You'd have to do some modifications, specifically rerouting the intake pipe, but it could probably be done.

I was thinking the Marineland filters could do this -- after I noticed their dual waterfall return structures...I don't know if I would be into modifying them though...:eek:

I do have to say, I agree with mfd that this wouldn't be much different than two HOBs on either side of the brace.

Indeed...you guys are probably right.

Another bonus of having two separate ones is that if one fails you don't lose all your filtration, and would give you a couple of days to fix/replace the one that fails.

Another bonus of having two separate ones is that if one fails you don't lose all your filtration, and would give you a couple of days to fix/replace the one that fails.

Indeed, Green, I am running two filters now...;)

I just thought it would be "fitting" for my tank being that it has a center brace for a filter with dual waterfall returns to straddle the brace, thus sitting in the middle of the back of the tank and allowing for more uniform filtration across my 60 gallon rectangular...

Anyone with any further input on whether or not these types of filters are available -- that is, something with enough width that the dual waterfall returns would sit to either side of the center brace (not ON it)?

Back
Top Bottom