Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2010, 05:02 AM   #1

Does This Exist: A Filter Which Straddles a Center Brace?

I would be interested in obtaining a (HOB) filter which actually "straddles" the center brace which sits on the top of my tank, keeping the glass from bowing -- ideally, it would boast dual waterfall returns, so the waterfalls would spill to either side of the brace.

Does something like this exist? My brace is pretty wide, so I'm guessing no...

Old 10-27-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

you're going to have to go with a canister with a spray bar to get close to what you're looking for, or some serious diy'ing

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never seen a filter like what you're describing. Most people keep hoods on their tanks and this type of filter would interfere with the hoods.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Also, I don't think the weight of a water filled filter would be good for a center brace. It may bow or break over time. I believe the center brace should not be used to support any undue weight.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I've never seen a filter like what you're describing. Most people keep hoods on their tanks and this type of filter would interfere with the hoods.
The thing is, I don't have a traditional "hood" -- what I have is a glass top which sits on the lip of the tank, all around, and which opens with two flaps up front to provide for feeding and maintenance; there is a good space between the back of this glass top and the back of the tank to hang an HOB filter (my Aqueons are hanging off the back on the left and right back sides)...then, a heavy wooden canopy covers all that, still leaving the space out back for filters.

So, I do have the space to hang a filter which would "straddle" the center brace in back...
Old 10-28-2010, 02:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynotcars View Post
Also, I don't think the weight of a water filled filter would be good for a center brace. It may bow or break over time. I believe the center brace should not be used to support any undue weight.
What I am describing wouldn't include hanging a filter ON the brace itself -- I am imagining a filter which would "straddle" the brace with the waterfall returns on either side of the brace, so it kind of sits like that on the back of the tank. There would be no physical contact with the brace...
Old 10-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I dont really see how that would be much different than putting two HOB's on either side of the brace... main difference would be that they're not connected and have separate intake tubes

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage_Winter View Post
What I am describing wouldn't include hanging a filter ON the brace itself -- I am imagining a filter which would "straddle" the brace with the waterfall returns on either side of the brace, so it kind of sits like that on the back of the tank. There would be no physical contact with the brace...
Is there any reason why you can't have the filter water falling down onto the brace itself and then into the tank?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I finally understand what you're looking for. You want a power filter that hangs on the back of the tank, but straddles the center brace. I thought you were looking for a filter that hung on the center brace.

I think the largest Marineland Penguin and Emperor would be your best bet. You'd have to do some modifications, specifically rerouting the intake pipe, but it could probably be done.

I do have to say, I agree with mfd that this wouldn't be much different than two HOBs on either side of the brace.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
I dont really see how that would be much different than putting two HOB's on either side of the brace... main difference would be that they're not connected and have separate intake tubes
In reality, it wouldn't be...I just wanted the convenience and unique quality of a unit which is all-encompassing in this way; two intake pipes and dual waterfall returns.

Tags
filter, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com