Does this have buying potential?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GNarnian

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I've stumbled across a potential buy for an 80 gallon tank, and I wanted some peoples' input on this before I buy or pass.

Someone that works for my mom is selling:

80 gallon tank: no leaks or cracks. Just needs cleaning.
A 200 or 300 watt heater (not sure haven't seen it yet.)
Dual glass panel top with hood and light.
Some HOB filter (supposed to filter 100gph)
Water conditioner

All this for 80 bucks.

No substrate or decoration.

My question is: Is this worth it? I know used tanks should be far less than actual value, so I'm skeptical. I'll be checking it out a little later, but I wanted to post this first and get some opinions. Any will be welcome!

Really depends where your from look at other tanks that size on Craig's list and compare a tank like that would go for about 3-500$ used new that would cost about 900$ we pay crazy amounts for tanks in Atlantic Canada

ryan-peddle said:
Really depends where your from look at other tanks that size on Craig's list and compare a tank like that would go for about 3-500$ used new that would cost about 900$ we pay crazy amounts for tanks in Atlantic Canada

Dang that much?! Wow. The general rule of thumb here in California is a dollar per gallon new and a bit less for used from what I've read. Though perhaps not at big chain stores.

JUMP on it you won't find a 80# for less than $300

dollar a gal is in those chain stores up to 50 gal

plus you said you get some equipment with it not a bad deal

Okay guys I got a look at the filter. No clue as to the brand name. It just says "Aquarium Filter" for over 100 gallons. It pumps approx 500 gallons per hour.

This seems like a good deal. I couldn't get my hands on the tank since the guy wasn't there. It looks like it had dirt in it. Hopefully he didn't leave it sitting outside!

GNarnian said:
Okay guys I got a look at the filter. No clue as to the brand name. It just says "Aquarium Filter" for over 100 gallons. It pumps approx 500 gallons per hour.

This seems like a good deal. I couldn't get my hands on the tank since the guy wasn't there. It looks like it had dirt in it. Hopefully he didn't leave it sitting outside!

He might have used it as a terrarium or a dirt planted tank who knows you'll have to ask

ryan-peddle said:
He might have used it as a terrarium or a dirt planted tank who knows you'll have to ask

I do know that it was used for freshwater fish, but California sun can be most unforgiving, guess it would be best to do a full fill on it if possible, huh?

Yeah, you should do a full fill and check it. If there are no leaks it sounds worth it to me! 80 bucks for that size tank is a great deal!

GNarnian said:
I do know that it was used for freshwater fish, but California sun can be most unforgiving, guess it would be best to do a full fill on it if possible, huh?

Absolutly I would but don't let a leak stop you use that for buying power doing a reseal is not hard I did it to everyone of my used tanks

ryan-peddle said:
Absolutly I would but don't let a leak stop you use that for buying power doing a reseal is not hard I did it to everyone of my used tanks

Really? I've read a lot on resealing tanks, and I know it can be catastrophic if you do it wrong. I'm just worried that it wouldn't hold.

GNarnian said:
Really? I've read a lot on resealing tanks, and I know it can be catastrophic if you do it wrong. I'm just worried that it wouldn't hold.

I have done it to all my used tanks no leaks here just do a leak test before you setup

Back
Top Bottom