Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dosing Pump: Liquid drains back into container?

I'm finding that on my Bubble Magus pumps, the liquid inside the lines drain back into the containers. I make sure that the entire tube is filled to the max. After stopping a manual pumping action, air bubbles form in sections and then it eventually drains back into the container. Am I suppose to put a check valve on it somewhere?

anyone else have this problem with their doser?

Old 12-01-2011, 01:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

not sure. Bump for experience. not really sure what your asking. I know what you got a new doser. So when you dose, the liquid dosen't go in the tank?

Old 12-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I'm not sure what kind of doser you have, but when I was using autodosers to dose PPS Pro solution in my planted tanks, I had the same thing going on. I never put a check valve on because it worked in my favor to get a smaller amount of solution out with my highly calibrated, super precise 1 minute invterval timer haha... If this is something you're wanting to avoid, a check valve should do the trick.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you for the replies. I'm starting to think that it is the airline tubing that I have chose to use. Also going to try a checkvalve if that doesn't work.

You guys are great.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChizerBunoi View Post
Thank you for the replies. I'm starting to think that it is the airline tubing that I have chose to use. Also going to try a checkvalve if that doesn't work.

You guys are great.
Hi I am having the same problem, did you find a solution to this?

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I'd throw a check valve on it. Short of checking for air leaks and the such, the only real option to prevent back flow is a check valve. They are dirt cheap but can fail. I would suggest ordering a couple so you have a back up.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow new AA look is spectacular. :p

I had place a check valve at the end of the tubing on both ends. One inside the container and one right before the outlet to the tank. Also, unless you are using the manufacture hose, you have to use regular aquarium silicone hose. I purchased extra tubing from a hardware store and it didn't work as well. It does work, but doesn't have as tight of a fit on the dosing pump.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

if you goto www.bulkreefsupply.com and watch the video on there dosing pump they talk about how there pumps are different and explain how they don't have this problem its something in how the pump is made but I forget. I do have the BRS 1.1ml dosing pumps and they don't allow the liquid to flow backwards
Old 04-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree on the BRS pump. Also, the GHL dosers don't have this issue and offer a wider range of programmable options.

Tags
dosing, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com