Double Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Head J

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have read a number of posts that talk about the advantages of having dual filters on an aquarium. I have a 40g tank with a Whisper 60 filter. For the most part all is functioning well. Maintenance of the filter would be easier and less traumatic to the fish if I could keep another filter going during the process. Thoughts?
If another filter seems like a good idea, what kind of filter would make sense? I have heard that a bio-wheel filter is very good.
On another matter, I have been wondering whether or not I need an air stone. The fish seem fine, but do seem to get a bit more animated during water changes when the filter water is falling into the tank and making bubbles. Is this just general excitement because of the noise and new water or are the fish benefiting from more oxygenated water during the pwc?
Once again, thanks for the help!
FHJ (newbie)

I have a 29 gal when I got it it came with a wisper 40 I ran the tank with just that for about 6 wks and I too ponderd the very same thing you are asking so I added a penguin 100 with a biowheel and the fish did seem to perk up. And also now I can fijit with one filter at a time reducing the chances of a biological crash. But I would definatly keep the wisper it is alot easier to put extra media or absorbers in than the penguin. Also if you ever start another tank you can steal the media from one of the filter to seed the new tank with alot less chance of crashing the old tank. But this is just my opinion.

Good point. Although I have been reluctant to start another tank (I'm worried where that will lead) I have felt the need at times when fish get sick or Frys are born to have another standby tank. I just feel so helpess sometimes when a fish gets sick and is being harassed by other fish. Sometimes they just need their own space to rest for a few days. An additional filter would definitely come in handy in those instances.
Thanks for the advice.
FHJ

i have a 55 gallon tank that came with whisper 60.. .after my fish first feeding, the water turned hazy and this was the case for almost 3 days.. i decided to add another filter and wala... things turned out for the better, no more haziness.. the extra filter that i got? i bought an EMPEROR 400. i also bought media for the refillable filter that came with it. there are two. i put ceramic filter on one and lava filter on the other and i think its just working great.. .so get another filter.. think its worth it..

Thanks bapski, I think your advise is good. I plan to get another filter, can't hurt right? How do people feel about air stones? Are there any compelling arguments to be made on that front? Anyone want to weigh in on the virtues of air stones?
Just thinking.......
FHJ

Fish Head J said:
Thanks bapski, I think your advise is good. I plan to get another filter, can't hurt right? How do people feel about air stones? Are there any compelling arguments to be made on that front? Anyone want to weigh in on the virtues of air stones?
Just thinking.......
FHJ

i have an airstone on my setup too..

On my 29 gal I have an emporer with biowheels HOB and a mangum 350 cannister filter. That tank is overstocked and produces a lot of waste so that is a huge help. On my 125 I use 2 large cannister filters, fluval 404 and fluval FX5. Also have air stones on all my tanks.

I use two canisters on my 55 gal. I like the extra capacity, convenience, and water flow.

I also have 2 filters on my goldfish tank. They are so messy it is a necessity. I just realized how many filters I have running on tanks 8O

I have 2 on mine aswell, a Fluval 304 and one I put together.. It makes cleaning easier and the extra mechanical filtration is nice.

Do u guys think a fluval 204 and a fluval 104 together is overkill for a 29 gallon?\

how much good bacteria (biomax) could i remove from a tank without causing an ammonia/nitrate increase? people say a sponge or two is ok but could i remove a fluval 104 if all filters are full of bio max suddenly? (if i have 1 inch of fish per gallon)

meh

Back
Top Bottom