Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2005, 06:52 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Gypsyqueen Send a message via Yahoo to Gypsyqueen
Stupid question:
When doing a partial water change/gravel vaccum, is it a must for you to disturb the entire gravel surface? Or can u just pick a spot, burrow down to the plates, and suck out whatever comes thru the plates? Thanks!
I have several neons, and I don't want them getting lost/stuck under gravel I sweep around when vaccuming. This has happened in the past, because they fit into their surroundings so well, also I want to do what is least stressful on my fish.
Gypsy

Old 03-02-2005, 07:36 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

you need to pick out a section 1/3 or so of the gravel and burrow down and clean it good the rest you can skim the surface. Next time switch the section of the gravel. You know the tube for the vaccum?? I fill it with gravel when when the tube is full I pinch off the hose a few times to release it. If you tap the gravel it will fill up the vaccum tube easier.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I use my UGF as a aeration system, I have 8 hoses that run down there, 2 are still set up filter like, 2 of them run to little chests and clams that let the bubble go and the other 4 are at each corner pointing in ward so that the water actually moves under there. I have a power filter on the side but my fish like to play in the bubbles.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

just out of curiosity, do most of you use the airstones and set it up that way, or do you use powerheads? and if you used powerheads is it likely that the "gunk" would be there still or would the water be moved better and that stuff removed somehow?
Old 03-03-2005, 02:49 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I Use both powerheads and air drive larger tanks have powerheads 2-3 gallon tanks have air driven. power heads are better and get more water flowing through the gravel.

Tags
filter, filters, gravel, undergravel, undergravel filter, undergravel filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com