Dremel tools and drilling bulkheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do anyone have any good websites for showing pics and such of using a dremel and drilling bulkheads? I am planning on drilling a small fuge tank this weekend and would like to read more about this. Cant seem to find any decent websites on this topic...maybe Im just not searching the right word or phrase....
Thanks!!

My tank is glass....I just need to know the basics of cutting glass as I have NO experience!! sure wish this was acrylic!!

I have NO experience
I suggest taking it to a professional glass cutter. They have the tools and expertise. Less chance of breakage.
The side you want to cut isn't tempered glass, right?

If you decide to go it alone, post the results.

Well heres the deal...The tank cost me $15...The ONLY glass company that will cut it for me is charging $45...I can buy the dremel at least for $45!! PLUS he said they do not guarentee the cut. I really think I can do this as long as I take it slow as some have done...
On the question....you asked if the side I want to cut is tempered??? I thought all sides to a tank were either glass or acrylic???

Usually only the bottom of the tank s tempered. Ig it is there should be a sticker of some sort saying tempered. If the tank is small it is probaby not tempered. Tempered glass will shatter if it drilled.

Well I have thought about drilling a 10 or 20 gallon...still setting this thing up in my mind...I assume since others have drilled their small tanks, mine would be the same..however....its me thats drilling!! ok it will shatter!! :lol:
I dont remember seeing a sticker that says tempered...I think I will ask the people I bought it from.
Thanks

here check out my reefclub. We drill tanks all of the time very easy. I drilled 3 1" bulkheads in my 20 gallon :D

www.sv-sea.org feel free to email Jim he will answer any of your questions.

I just drilled two holes a week or two ago with a Dremel....it is ridiculously easy. I did it on a 16g tank, for a 1" drain and 1/2" return. If you are interested, I took pictures, I just have not sized them for the internet yet...but could do so this evening.

Here is the thread I learned from though. The instructions are there but the pictures are gone. It is so easy though, it is ridiculous to pay anyone else to do it.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234382&highlight=Dremel+and+glass

Work the diamond bit up and down (in and out, however you want to describe it), and the glass grinds away smoothly. Going slow, it took me about a half hour per hole.

Thanks to both CBR Guy and Hoopsguru...this is encouraging for sure!! I think I can do this as well now. I know what i need and will go see if I can buy it tonight. Will keep you posted.
Can you do this with a regular drill and not a dremel I assume?

You will need a dremel, because of the Higher RPMs that is produces.

Bummer!! Thought my high speed drill I have now would do the job!! :lol:

Now, don't take this as a fact, I have not done it....BUT...seeing that you are grinding the glass and not cutting it, I would imagine that a high speed drill would work as well. It would probably just be cumbersome and take longer. For example, when you use a diamond bit hole-saw to cut the glass, you use a normal drill on a slow and steady setting. The Dremel bit (#7134) is a diamond bit too.

A few simple pics are available, if you want them PM me.

Well heres the latest. I have decided after much debate to take the 2 tanks I was going to use (and drill one of them) back to the LFS and go with a 48" long tank as my sump/fuge combined under my sump. Should be a lot better and easier. I think this will eliminate a lot of headaches and time too.
Thanks for all the help!! Sorry no one got to see a trainwreck!! And thats what this would have been!! :lol: :lol:

I know I know!! Sorry for the letdown!! Maybe next time. I know myself to well and I would have broken the tank for sure! 8O

Back
Top Bottom