Drilled Tank for Freshwater Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coalcut

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a chance to get my dream FW tank (well almost) 45wx30hx45d Cube Tank. I really wanted a 48x30x48 but this is close enough.

Anyway, there's only one catch, the tank is drilled (I guess it was used for saltwater setup w/ sump). There are 4 holes on the bottom and 2 on the back wall. From a photo I've seen it appears to be gaskets,etc on all the holes.

So my questions is:
1) Can you use a canister filter with at least 2 of the holes on the back or bottom of the tank, and pluging up the rest with some type of end cap?
2) Are there any issues with placing caps in the holes?
3) Should I simply plug all of the holes and use the filters in/out tubes over the sides?

Any other concerns?

Thanks.

Anyone have an opinion/advice? I don't want to buy a tank that I can't use. Help!!!

IF your building a dream tank, you could always sump the freshwater tank. Your canister will work as a closed loop as well, but you have to watch the pressure as most canisters are designed to pump up and over the tank, rather than having all the weight of the water in the tank pushing into them.

last year I found a tank in the size range I was looking for but it was plumbed for salt with built in overflows and a sump, not exactly what I was looking for but I gave it a shot, this fw planted 150 has been running since last march and it all works very well as a fw system and I have the option of going salt if I ever get the cash or cajones. so in other words if the dimensions are right and the price is right it's definitely worth getting. if you take a look at some of the fluval Vicenza series tanks you'll see they have drilled bottoms being used for fresh or salt using sumps or canisters, good luck

My 90g freshwater tank is drilled and I use a 30 sump. Makes for easy maintenance. If I was you I would go with the sump. IMO. :)

What size sump would I need for a 285g tank?

If I don't run a sump and go with a canister filter how would I cap the holes without any leaking issues?

You could install the proper size bulkheads, and then just use PVC caps/cement.

I like the idea of running a FW sump though. Hide all the equipment in your dream tank. It is already drilled - thats the big expense. Buy yourself a $10 20L at petsmart and setup a sump :)

I would definetly do a sump. I would do at least a 20 gallon but the bigger is better!

Back
Top Bottom