Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
If you mean a predrilled Reef Ready tank, my overflows have holes near the bottom, but the water doesn't enter the overflow directly from those holes. There is actually a cover, sort of, where the water enters the holes at the bottom and flows up to the top and then down into the overflow. At least that's the theroy behind it. When I shut down my pump, the water only drains to the top of the overflow.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:43 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, for a drilled tank, you should either have a baffle (what ccCapt is describing) that controls the water level, or use a stand pipe attached to the bulkhead. This prevents the tank from draining down with a power out.

Some tanks are drilled at the side so the bulkhead is placed higher, to control the water level. Personally, I still think you should still use a standpipe in that setup. this allows you to change the water level, and also quieten the water noise. <And if you use a stand pipe, it makes no difference if the bulkhead is at the bottom, top or middle! >

Old 01-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

You guys rock. That was exactly what I was trying to figure out. The holes at the bottom actually have to drain upwards at the top so my tank will not drain - unless I spring a leak. How do you fix a leak at one of the pre-drilled spots - is there a rubber gasket or something that seals it at the glass?
Old 01-24-2010, 01:53 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

You mean you are leaking at the bulkhead?

You can try tightening the bulkhead if it is loose. Otherwise, there is a gasket inside that you may be able to change, or you might have to get a new bulkhead.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, the bulkhead gasket. The questio is how does one change this on an operating tank?
Old 01-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Depending on your type of overflow, you may be able to cover it from the tank side with plastic to stop the water flow. The back pressure of the water in the tank would hold it in place when the inside of the overflow is drained. This may let you fix the leak while not draining a large amount of water from the tank.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsomepopcorn View Post
Is there a good web site that shows how to drill out and connect piping for a drilled tank?
In this youtube video series the guy making the sump shows how to drill your tank and how to connect the bulkhead and everything.

This is part 1:
YouTube - Reef Tank D.I.Y. Sump part 1

This is part 2:
YouTube - Reef Tank D.I.Y. Sump part 2
Old 01-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #18
Thanx but no.....

You will continue to get the same answers , even it you ask them 15 times in 15 different threads. All that accomplishes is to clutter up the forums

Drilled Tank Leak
Old 01-24-2010, 01:12 PM   #19
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Combined the two threads.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drilled, leak, led, tan, tank leak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com