Drilling Tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shurton

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm moving my reef tank from a 33 to 45 gallon bowfront tank, so I went out and bought a tank. I got the tank home, and then I noticed a warning sticker on it saying "Do not drill".
Do all tanks come with this disclaimer on it, or is there something about this tank that makes it non drillable?

The glass on that tank is likely tempered which makes it not possible to drill. The back may be possible. Call the manufacturer to be sure before attempting anything.

I agree. If it says do not drill than dont. Tempered glass will shatter. Still dont worry because they make HOB overflows that you can use. Also moving this to the General Hardware and equipment discussion.

Thanks guys!
Can someone please point me to where I can get an HOB overflow?

If at all possible, I would strongly recommend having the back of the tank drilled vs. going with a HOB overflow. I used a CPR-style HOB overflow for a period of several months and the thing gave me nothing but problems. I will never use one again. Our 50 gallon reef has tempered glass for the bottom pane, but we were able to have the back of it drilled. HN1's suggestion to contact the manufacturer is a really good idea IMO. :)

I do have to wonder, wouldn't it be worth the time to return\exchange that tank, and ask for one that has been pre-drilled?

just my $.02

unfortunately I'm in the middle of an ich problem so I'm already using the one I bought for a temp hospital tank. I got a good price on this one, and no one has pre drilled tanks around here anyway. So I'm going to look at my HOB options.

I do have to wonder, wouldn't it be worth the time to return\exchange that tank, and ask for one that has been pre-drilled?

just my $.02

A lot of times, you can't. All the bowfront tanks smaller than the 72 gallon model are not even available in reef ready (Megaflow) models. Neither is the 50 breeder that HN1 and I have.

Back
Top Bottom