Dry Rotted Suction Cups on Inside of Glass 10 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieG

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help! I let this tank sit dry for almost 2 years and discovered I had left the air stone suction cups attached to the glass. They dry rotted and the edges of the cups are still stuck to the glass. Is there any safe way (other than elbow grease) to remove these. If not, will this residue harm my fish if I just leave it? I removed as much as I could with the elbow grease, warm water and an old bio floss pad.

OMG... :lol: Why hadn't I thought of that before? Yes, it's glass. :facepalm:

Edit: Hi! I'm new! :p

Fortunately, the seal is good. Even better news is I just now scored a 20 gallon with stand. Going to pick it up. Hopefully, the owner does not use soap to clean it. O.O

KatieG said:
Fortunately, the seal is good. Even better news is I just now scored a 20 gallon with stand. Going to pick it up. Hopefully, the owner does not use soap to clean it. O.O

Just make sure to give it a good cleaning, you can use vinegar

KatieG said:
OMG... :lol: Why hadn't I thought of that before? Yes, it's glass. :facepalm:

Edit: Hi! I'm new! :p

Don't feel stupid, I bought a brand new aquarium not in a box, got it home & on the stand, started cleaning to get the dust out of it, saw a scratch or crack I wasn't sure. Fretted over it for an hour or so then I loaded up the aquarium & stand & took it back to Petsmart. The manager looks at it, scrapes it with his fingernail & says I think it's just a strand of silicone, pulls out a razor blade & proceeds to make the crack disappear. Yeah I felt pretty stupid. :-o

Don't feel stupid, I bought a brand new aquarium not in a box, got it home & on the stand, started cleaning to get the dust out of it, saw a scratch or crack I wasn't sure. Fretted over it for an hour or so then I loaded up the aquarium & stand & took it back to Petsmart. The manager looks at it, scrapes it with his fingernail & says I think it's just a strand of silicone, pulls out a razor blade & proceeds to make the crack disappear. Yeah I felt pretty stupid. :-o

LOL! I'll pick up some razor blades while I'm out getting the 20. Then I will tuck the 10 gallon back in the closet and look for a new home for it.

KatieG said:
LOL! I'll pick up some razor blades while I'm out getting the 20. Then I will tuck the 10 gallon back in the closet and look for a new home for it.

A good box of razor blades is a very useful tool to keep around when you have aquariums! They are great for removing any hard water or tough algae buildup. I have gone through quite a few cleaning up my tanks. Also, try to get a box that has a receptacle for storing used blades, so you don't end up hurting yourself or others with the used ones if you throw them in the trash.

This is what forums are about. Aquarists, helping other aquarists. we never stop learning (y)

Back
Top Bottom