dual 150w metal halide fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coffeetwitch

Aquarium Advice Addict
hello all,

ive got a 90 gallon saltwater tank with glass tops on it. im looking at light fixtures now and im considering a dual 150w metal halide only fixture. my concern is heat. what are your thoughts on this subject?

ive got a 36" 4x39w t5ho on it now that is sitting directly on the glass and it will raise the temp about 1-2 degrees after being on for 9 hours. the fixture im looking at has legs on it that will raise it from the glass about 3 inches.

mostly concerned with the heat of it all. if it makes any difference they are 15k double end bulbs. also, how do 20k bulbs look?

thanks!

I would look into led's, how much is the halide fixture compared to a good led fixture. There's no heat with the led's and you have to factor in the cost of halide bulbs compared to no replacement on bulb for years and years with the led's

tonedogz said:
I would look into led's, how much is the halide fixture compared to a good led fixture. There's no heat with the led's and you have to factor in the cost of halide bulbs compared to no replacement on bulb for years and years with the led's

+1 unless your getting an amazing deal don't buy out-dated hardware lol ;)

the halide fixture is 200 on ebay. ive been turned onto the taotronics led lights for 168 each. figure ill need 2 of them. i guess ill just have to start saving.

yeah between the fixture and your first bulb replacement you'll be up to the price of the led's

I've been told LEDs being synthetic light can cause mass dieoffs of coral after time.anyone else hear this? Halides are proven and have a nice shimmer effect when it hits the surface I'd use halides

I want to put something on my tank. Wether it be the halide fixture until I save the money for the LEDs or those led flood lights while I save up for better lights.

Corals in my tank now are just some zoas, so I'm not needing anything "big" just yet. Just something right now.

It's that or keep letting the 36" fixture, that i have now , sit on my glass tops until I can replace it with the right lighting.

Back
Top Bottom