Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2003, 02:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to HOLLIEO Send a message via Yahoo to HOLLIEO
Duetto Internal filter?

Is anyone familiar with the Duetto Internal filter Model DJ100?
I am just curious if they really work and how many gallons would be okay to use on?

Old 07-17-2003, 03:12 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I don't know how many gallons it's able to handle...I would think not more than 20. Although I haven't used that particular model, I have had a couple of the internal filters. My experience with them is that they clog very quickly and are a pain to service. I'd go with a HOB filter.
Or...if this is for the turtle tank, I think the canister idea is the only good alternative.

Old 07-17-2003, 03:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just did a quick search ... DJ100 claims 92 gallons per hour filtration, so it's probably closer to 70 with media in it

water should be turned over at least 5 times an hour, as many as 10 if you have lots of fish (or fish waste)

so at 70 gph, it would work for a 15 gallons of water ... the manuf. claims it works up to a 30 gallon tank, but I don't think thats very realistic.

also, if this is for your turtle and goldfish tank, I think the filter would end up clogging on the turtle waste fairly easily.

-----

you might be able to use something like this, and attach it to the power head you already have

http://www.thatpetplace.com/cgi-bin/...PROD&x=31&y=12
Old 07-17-2003, 03:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I too would use the HOB type, but this is on a turtle/goldfish tank and the water level is to low for the intake valve to reach
so, I was told that an internal filter would work for me. I was thinking of running my 660 penguin powerhead (with sponge cover) along with the Duetto DJ100 and was not sure if that would be good enough? It is a 50 gallon filled with water 50-75%. Is that like 30 gallons???? I have no idea... what a goober I am
Old 07-17-2003, 03:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow!! Thanks glmclell for doing the research!!! and especially thanks for doing the math too!!! I Suck at math or anything to do with number..
I have a sponge on my powerhead to filter debris, would this be okay?
I am actually getting a Rainbow/aquarium Fluidized bed filter and Quiet One pump, but I don't have it yet. So this is really just temporary.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

well ... the sponge by itself won't accomplish much filtering, since it's just coarse enough to stop the powerhead from ingesting large pieces of debris ... not really designed to filter particles out of the water.

-----

The FBF filter and pump combo sounds expensive, at least, more so than a small filstar, fluval or via aqua canister, and, IMHO not well suited for filtering a paladium, at least, not as the primary / only filter.

A FBF filter is designed for biological filtration only ... you need to use fine mechanical filtration before the FBF; fine mechanical means several layers of filter floss, or fine sponges.

Basiclly, water with no visible debris is what a FBF filter needs, because it works on taking microscopic waste, ammonia and nitrites out of the water ... anything larger causes the sand to clump up and clog, rendering the filter useless.

Also, the filter only provides biological filtration ... if you're concerned about smell and the color of the water, you also need chemical filtration by means of activated carbon.

Rainbow Lifeguard makes some nice equipment, but it's overkill for what you need.

A $50 to $70 canister filter will work best, be easy to clean, and if you decide to ditch the turtle and go all fish, it will work well in a true aquarium as well.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, thank you for your honest opinion... I appreciate it. that is exactly why I post in these forums. I love hearing everyones opionions and ideas. It is great and sooooooooooooooo helpful!!
Rainbow lifeguard is a division of the company I work for, so I don't have to pay the high prices Yeah!!
Quote:
well ... the sponge by itself won't accomplish much filtering, since it's just coarse enough to stop the powerhead from ingesting large pieces of debris ... not really designed to filter particles out of the water.
I was actually planning on running the Duetto internal filter as well as the powerhead with the sponge on it. The power head was just to move the water around and areate, so the filter could do it's job.
that would be okay, right?

Tags
filter, internal filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com