Durso (Glass Holes) Overflow With 300gph - How Loud?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Muscle

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm setting up a 112G tank with a sump in the basement. Months and months ago I decided to go with a Glass Holes overflow (basically a durso) and only ran two pipes (one drain, one supply) to the basement. All the walls are now closed up, etc. so running another pipe would be a huge pain. However, I'm a bit concerned that things might get loud with my setup. Unfortunately the basement area where the sump will go isn't done yet so I won't be able to test it for a few more months to check the noise ... so I'm looking for some feedback and/or reassurance.

The drain is 1.5" made up primarily of flex PVC at a 45 degree angle with one vertical section about 3 feet high. The total drop is about 10 feet to the basement. I'm hoping for around 2x - 3x turnover, so let's say I'll be running 300gph through it. Can I realistically expect a quite (almost silent) overflow with this setup after it's been fine tuned? What's the maximum that people have run with a 1.5" durso setup and still had silence?

Thanks,
Harry

Back
Top Bottom