Durso pipe gurgles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rambo1224

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I built my own durso to combat the gurgling in the tank. The water level usually stays almost to the top of the 90 PVC. Every few minutes though, the water level fluctuates a bit and drops some. When that happens I get the gurgle for a few seconds, and when the water level raises back up it stops. What can I do to fix it?

Attachments

• durso.jpg
    durso.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 235
Hope this helps Read the section: Standpipe Air Hole
Sounds like this may be your issue.

dursostandpipes.com

Thanks. I had used that article on DIY Dursor pipes when making mine. My hole on the top is already pretty big. 90% of the time it works fine and doesn't gurgle. I have a pretty long run from my overflow to my sump where the pump is located (maybe 15 ft), so that may be why the level various a bit every few minutes. You really think I need to make it bigger?

Also, I think if I could get the PVC 90 to submerge more into the water (right now its about 90% under), it would also work. The variations in the level wouldn't matter as the PVC pipe would always be under water. Just not sure how to do that either. Any suggestions?
thanks

If you have a valve on the drain side you could close it off a little to raise the level in the tank and keep the 90 under water.

If you have a valve on the drain side you could close it off a little to raise the level in the tank and keep the 90 under water.

Thanks. There is an adjustable valve in the drain (in the sump box). I did play around with it to raise the level some, it worked.. but when I lose power I had issues. I guess the syphon wouldn't take right away when power comes back on (and pump starts) because the tank would overflow. The way it is now doesn't have the issue when power goes on/off. Was hoping there was something I could do with the durso.

When I cut power to my pump and turn it back on again both durso drains in my tank will make noise for about 10 min or so. Seems like most of my noise come from pockets of air trapped near the valves but it stops and I am good with that. It took me about a day or so to get them fine tuned. As with everything in this hobby ps all changes and patients.

When I cut power to my pump and turn it back on again both durso drains in my tank will make noise for about 10 min or so. Seems like most of my noise come from pockets of air trapped near the valves but it stops and I am good with that. It took me about a day or so to get them fine tuned. As with everything in this hobby ps all changes and patients.

I would be fine with that as well... but for some reason closing the valve a bit to get the water level above my durso elbow pipe cause the tank to overflow when I lose power off/on. When power off, the tank drains like what you described yours does. When it comes back on, it must not get the syphon right away, because it overflows.

Couple of ideas:
1-You could shorten the height of tour standpipe so the end cap with hole in it is just below the height of your tank. This would cause the air entering the pipe through the hole to be cut off and a full siphon would occur thus starting the drain process.
2-Easier idea. Take a piece of airline tubing place it in the hole should have a snug fit. You will have to adjust how far to place tubing into hole to minimize sound. Take the extra length of tubing and zip tie it ti the side of the standpipe below the height of the tank. This will also cause a full siphon to occur when the water level gets up to the tubing.

Mine have a extra overflow to prevent a flood. My prior tank overflowed while I was on vacation.

Attachments

• IMG_1793.jpg
    IMG_1793.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 221
Couple of ideas:
1-You could shorten the height of tour standpipe so the end cap with hole in it is just below the height of your tank. This would cause the air entering the pipe through the hole to be cut off and a full siphon would occur thus starting the drain process.
2-Easier idea. Take a piece of airline tubing place it in the hole should have a snug fit. You will have to adjust how far to place tubing into hole to minimize sound. Take the extra length of tubing and zip tie it ti the side of the standpipe below the height of the tank. This will also cause a full siphon to occur when the water level gets up to the tubing.

Mine have a extra overflow to prevent a flood. My prior tank overflowed while I was on vacation.
Thanks. Questions on option 2.
1) So one end of the tubing goes into the hole in the top of durso pipe. Do I push the end of that tubing down until it hits the water (and possibly lower) or is it supposed to stop before hitting water

2)The other end of the tubing that gets zipped tied to the standpipe below the height of the tank. Is this end supposed to be above or below the water line?

Thanks. Questions on option 2.
1) So one end of the tubing goes into the hole in the top of durso pipe. Do I push the end of that tubing down until it hits the water (and possibly lower) or is it supposed to stop before hitting water

2)The other end of the tubing that gets zipped tied to the standpipe below the height of the tank. Is this end supposed to be above or below the water line?

1- will be in the water in pipe. Open drain valve some you will have the gurgling noise then insert the airline wou will have to adjust how much to put in based on noise. You should be virtually silent. Just have to find that sweet spot.

2- above water line but below tank top. Think of it as a type of high water level limit.

Test the power outage multiple times to make sure its all working. My old tank I ended up installing a float switch in the tank to prevent overflows that cut power to main pump.

1- will be in the water in pipe. Open drain valve some you will have the gurgling noise then insert the airline wou will have to adjust how much to put in based on noise. You should be virtually silent. Just have to find that sweet spot.

2- above water line but below tank top. Think of it as a type of high water level limit.

Test the power outage multiple times to make sure its all working. My old tank I ended up installing a float switch in the tank to prevent overflows that cut power to main pump.
Thanks. So I had originally closed the drain pipe some to raise the water level. Should I open it up all the way now, just a little or leave it same? I just keep lowering the tube into the durso pipe hole until its quiet? I assume I tie the other end first so I can play with it

Back
Top Bottom