Durso Standpipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You really dont have to glue overflows. Makes it a pain in the *** to get snails out.

dino

I am wandering if my durso is long enough. with it installed the center of the elbow of the durso is right at two inches from the bottom of the overflow slits. However, with everything running, the water level is completely above the elbow about 1/4" but it maintains at that level. Any thoughts?

The top should be out of the water a little bit with a hole in it to suck air

dino

the top cap is completely out of the water. its just the elbow is completely under water and wasn't sure if that's how it is suppose to be but everything seems to be functioning properly

I think its working right but still having a surging issue.
View My Video
we are still trying to tackle this issue. I decided to unhook the hose from the bulkhead going into the sump and directly set it into the sump to completely eliminate any type of rise. This video is with the durso installed. The water level completely covers the elbow of the durso but that still does not resolve this issue. Even when the durso is taken out and its just straight water going into the overflow it still surges. My pump is sending 950gph if that makes a difference. Maybe I have a jinxed tank

Put the reverse durso on the bottom side into the sump. I guerentee it will stop. Its suging because its not getting enough air escape. The reverse allows all the air to escape as needed. Allowing water to flow freely. Cost me like 10$ at lowes. Pvc pipe. 1 pvc T and 1 elbow

dino

Oops. 2 elbows and 1 cap. Drill hole in the cap

dino

My tank has been running smoothly after hard plumbing everything and getting rid of the flushing/surging that was happening. Everything has been go great for about a week. However, I have a question about the durso standpipe. It appears as though salt has started plugging the hole ever so slightly so therefore my water level in the overflow has dropped. Is it common for me to have to unplug/clear the hole with a toothpick? How often should it need to be done? Or possibly, does the hole in the top of the durso need to be bigger?

Did you figure out the water level? I have dual corner overflows and having lower level in one of them which is making the durso gurgle a little bit through the factory made side holes in the marineland durso

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As long as it is still getting water through the elbow of the durso, it appears as though it is fine. Normally once a week when I wipe down the acrylic, I clear the hole with a pick just to make sure everything runs smoothly

As long as it is still getting water through the elbow of the durso, it appears as though it is fine. Normally once a week when I wipe down the acrylic, I clear the hole with a pick just to make sure everything runs smoothly

Cool. I figured mine out. Had to drill a bigger hole to let some more air in.

Back
Top Bottom