Durso Standpipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoothie7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Who has used the Durso Standpipe? I have a 90 gallon saltwater tank with an overflow box that is 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" I currently had 3 sponges mounted to a plastic rod however the sponges are too small and water goes from the overflow and free falls all the way to the bottom thus making a very loud noise. I was considering doing a durso standpipe but don't know if it will work in my tank. Thanks for your input.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399047255.203277.jpg
Here's one I made out of 1 1/2 inch pipe to fit a 5.5 x 5.5 overflow. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399047705.269673.jpg
This one is 1 inch and a simpler design. Note I trimmed all the fittings to conserve space. Good luck!

so I made the durso standpipe today and for some reason it wasn't sending enough water through the bulkhead so the pump wasn't getting enough water to send it back through the tank. Any thoughts?

I added more water to the tank to take into account the extra water in the overflow and they seemed to quiet down the pump

but now I seem to be getting surges of water coming from the filter hose??

this happens regardless if I have the durso standpipe in it, the sponges that I originally had or nothing in the overflow at all. Still has the flushes/surges in the hose going into the sump.
View My Video

the pump is rated at 950gph. the diameter of the standpipe is 1 1/4" reduced down at the bottom to 1" to fit into the slip bulkhead.

What size hose? I would recommend PVC pipe at least 1 inch as straight of a shot you can do with the least amount of Bends. Or a valve on your output.

so heres the update, we built a complete 1" durso standpipe and currently a 9/64" hole in the cap and our water level is maintaining above the elbow and we are still getting some gurgling not so much flushing like it did have. is it possible that the pump that I have quietone 4000 (950gph) is pumping too much water in and the overflow can't send it out fast enough?? Thoughts?

we started with a 1/16" drill bit and waited 5 minutes in between each drill bit to let the tank "cycle" through and went up one size each time until we ended at 9/64" which kept the water level at a consistent rate and stopped the hard surging

some of you have mentioned the drain hose having a slight dip in it. the drain hose is the one that usually comes with the eshopps sumps. It is a 2' hose that is premade with slip fittings to fit in the bulkheads nice and tight. can they even be modified? I know the one going in to the bulkhead in the overflow is glued for safety reasons but the one going into the sump is not glued

IMO the if you can remove the spreader tray above the Bio balls. I would recommend replacing the balls with live rock or clean the every week as they will become nitrate factory's.

I could remove the bio balls and the tray if needed. What would you put at the bottom of the sump? live rock? How would you keep the water from splashing from hitting the water? Is there something you would put over the hose to diffuse the water?
Right now all I have in the tank is crushed coral and live rock so if I need to make changes, I want to do them now if possible

I built a reverse durse for my overflow to the tank. No more gurgling or flushing

dino

Back
Top Bottom