Easy way to remove sealant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
So part of the deal with my hubby in getting the 36g was I would remove the old sealant and he would re-seal it.

Problem is the person that owned it prior had re-sealed and got the sealant all over everywhere, especially up under the rim.

Is there an easy way to remove that?

The rim is plastic, so if I scrape with the razor blade it peels off some of the rim. i want to avoid that as much as possible. I know the sealant needs removed so we can get a good seal under there. :banghead:

Ideas?

Check out Lowe's or any nearby hardware store. There are tools made for removing the silicon. They don't cost much and they work pretty well and you don't have to worry about getting any chemicals out of the tank. Most chemical removers are patrolium based and are a ***** to get completely off the glass.

So part of the deal with my hubby in getting the 36g was I would remove the old sealant and he would re-seal it.

Problem is the person that owned it prior had re-sealed and got the sealant all over everywhere, especially up under the rim.

Is there an easy way to remove that?

The rim is plastic, so if I scrape with the razor blade it peels off some of the rim. i want to avoid that as much as possible. I know the sealant needs removed so we can get a good seal under there. :banghead:

Ideas?

Razor blade and denatured alcohol on the glass and get every bit off or it could compromise the reseal (silicone does NOT stick to silicone).

As for the rim, if it's off the tank turn it upside down pour a little DA in the (channel) area to clean and let it set for a couple minutes. Then use a thin (narrow), straight blade screw driver covered with a cloth and go after it with care. The rim is more show than go and some remove their rims for a better look.

Back
Top Bottom