Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ebay canister filter???

Just wondering if anyone else has got one of these of ebay from oz plaza?? There about $50 if so what do you think about them?

Old 07-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I don't have one, but have heard from people who do that they work ok. A canister filter is a pretty simple device... a water tight container, a couple of lines to form a siphon and a return, and a pump to help move it along, and some media inside to form a bio filter/mechanical filtration. You get what you pay for however. I have heard that they can be a little noisier than an eheim or other quality canister, and they are a little more flimsy on the hose connections and the latching mechanisms.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok thank you as i might buy one if it last a yr for $50 i cant go wrong for that price as my fluvel has had it and dont want to pay $300 for a new one. I only have a 4 foot tank with one oscar so i might get it and try it and then put a review up
Old 09-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

i got an odyssea CFS 500 for 60 bucks and its alright man, only complaints i have about mine are it didnt come with like a clamping device to keep the tubes going into the tank tight, i made a custom hood tho so that didnt really bother me, the tubes were a little bit short so i spent 20 bucks and got some food grade from lowes. and i have a small problem sometimes with it shooting out white flakes when i turn it on, some people have said its biofilm and no biggie so i just put a fish net in front of the output when i start it. only had mine running for a few weeks, but its quiet and for the price im not complaining

EDIT: heres a link, so far so good with mine, especially for the price
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Odyssea-CFS-...item45fc6f09c5

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com