Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ebay Halide lights systems.

I know there are much better systems out there but how bad could they be? I mean is it the bulb or the fixture, or the ballast that makes a big difference? Just looking for opinions as I am new to Saltwater but definitly want clams eventually but don't want o break the bank and its a roll of the dice on used. Thanks for any info you provide.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm thinking of buying one as well. The one I was looking at was 2x 250w mh with 4 39w t5hos. It was about $250. It even comes with 4 power cords so you can use it with a timer! Really tempted to get and will probably get it in the end lol

Old 08-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #3

I recently got one off ebay for $250 shipped. 150w HQI MH + 2x96w actinic CF + 4x blue LED. It has a built in fan, four cords and four switches so you can set up individual timers.

Overall the fixture is pretty decent quality. A weak point is the mounting of the legs. It uses 4 aluminum U shaped piece in the channels with a screw through the leg and screwed into the Aluminum piece. 3 of the 4 stripped the first time I tried to set it up. I drilled out the hole in the leg and the aluminum pieces slightly, then used some stainless screws I had and ground the sides of the heads down to the width of the threaded shaft (think T shaped). This allowed me to fit them from the inside of the aluminum U brackets then fit the legs onto the screw and install a washer and nut to hold them tight. This made the legs very sturdy when they were tightened down.

The other issue I ran into is that after 10 days the MH bulb will not stay lit. It runs for like 20-40 minutes and shuts off. I sent the seller an email (and he responded right away) and he thinks the bulb has an issue so he is supposed to be sending me a new one. We'll see if I get it this week and if it solves the problem. I am worried it may be a ballast issue (this is my first MH light so I don't know). I will post a follow up on what happens...
Old 08-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luky
I recently got one off ebay for $250 shipped. 150w HQI MH + 2x96w actinic CF + 4x blue LED. It has a built in fan, four cords and four switches so you can set up individual timers.

Overall the fixture is pretty decent quality. A weak point is the mounting of the legs. It uses 4 aluminum U shaped piece in the channels with a screw through the leg and screwed into the Aluminum piece. 3 of the 4 stripped the first time I tried to set it up. I drilled out the hole in the leg and the aluminum pieces slightly, then used some stainless screws I had and ground the sides of the heads down to the width of the threaded shaft (think T shaped). This allowed me to fit them from the inside of the aluminum U brackets then fit the legs onto the screw and install a washer and nut to hold them tight. This made the legs very sturdy when they were tightened down.

The other issue I ran into is that after 10 days the MH bulb will not stay lit. It runs for like 20-40 minutes and shuts off. I sent the seller an email (and he responded right away) and he thinks the bulb has an issue so he is supposed to be sending me a new one. We'll see if I get it this week and if it solves the problem. I am worried it may be a ballast issue (this is my first MH light so I don't know). I will post a follow up on what happens...
I think that the ballast is overheating. Is there any circulation?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #5

As far as circulation in general, I ended up buying a used Hamilton and will be installing this week. Should I incorporate a fan for he ballast in order to keep it cool.

Also the light I purchased is set to hang from the ceiling. It has two 250 wt halides, how high above the tank should it hang.

Thanks for any info.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb View Post
I think that the ballast is overheating. Is there any circulation?
The ballast is just sitting inside the stand with plenty of free air around it. It is just warm to the touch (maybe 110F) on the finned aluminum heat sink. I have left the stand doors wide open and I even tried pulling it out of the stand and letting it sit on the floor in front of the tank. No change in performance. I also keep the doors to the stand propped open slightly with a piece of clear 3/8" tubing so some air can flow through the stand.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have had one of these ebay fixtures (2 x 250w MH & 4 x 65w Atinic) for about a year now and it works great. It does heat up a bit so i reccomend pointing a small fan at the light itself.....mine is under an a/c vent so it keeps cool.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If they have the same price and specs as aquatraders.com then do NOT buy them. There have been many reports that they have caught fire and the one I bought also almost caught my house on fire.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
If they have the same price and specs as aquatraders.com then do NOT buy them. There have been many reports that they have caught fire and the one I bought also almost caught my house on fire.
That's not true at all. Those stories of people's house almost catching on fire have no proof and have no sources at all. As for your house almost catching on fire, I don't know if it's true or not.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm quite sure my house is true as there was smoke throughout my house and the battery was fried. One of the threads that I posted on was a big discussion about it with iDreamsaltwater. I do not know if the reviews were true or not but I don't understand why someone would make it up. But if you know that they in fact are lying, then my apologies. I also should state that mine was not a halide but a t8/ led system. Here is a picture of it

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halide, light, lights, stem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com