Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ebay Lights?

Hello all, This is my first post here. I have recently acquired a 72 gallon bow front and am in the process of setting it up. It currently has only the single bulb regular fluorescent lamp fixture on it. I have been looking at new fixtures and just happened to find these and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. They are cheap, but that is not always a bad thing. Thanks.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The link may help.....

AQUARIUM LIGHT 48" REEF ODYSSEA 260WT POWER COMPACT #U3 - eBay (item 270525136739 end time Feb-09-10 08:34:16 PST)

or

48" POWER COMPACT FLUORESCENT FISH TANK AQUARIUM LIGHT - eBay (item 170440747166 end time Feb-04-10 20:14:47 PST)

Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

PC`s are at the lower end of intensity needed for corals. You never said what your plans were for this tank. Will it be a reef tank or a Fish with LR tank or fish only. Those lights will be OK for the last two but I would get something with more intensity for a reef. Maybe a T5HO system if you have plans for a reef.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

i've heard not so good things about that brand... i saw some factory reconditioned current nova extreme pro t5ho fixtures on ebay yesterday, im not sure what other people think about reconditioned, but i know current is a trusted name in lighting

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just to follow up mfdrookie, I got one of those Current USA refurbs.. I have to say I was a little disappointed when I got it.. Could have been shipping damage, but I've had two other fixtures sent to me (also current usa) that had no problems.. I got the 4x54.. Had one broken bulb, both endcaps were cracked and the fan on the back is very very loud.. I have my tank in the living room and the fan is not running because it is so loud.. I emailed Current via ebay because they say not to contact their "normal" customer service as they don't help with ebay purchases.. They have not responded yet, but I did just email them late last night.. I will be changing out the fan and making my own cooling setup that is quiet.. I'm just getting used to the hum from the XP4 under the tank. Don't need more noise!
Old 02-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

same seller has a 48" T5 for 92$
Old 02-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

ok, that answers that then... thanks for the info, i was actually thinking about getting one myself... until now But that aside, *new* current light fixtures are great

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will wait to see what their response is to my problem(s) before I decide if the refurb is junk or not.. They may come through and send me parts, or send another fixture.. So we will see...

I'm not really sure why they think they need a fan in this fixutre and not the 2x fixture.. But I've read that keeping the T5HO bulbs cooler do make them last longer/run better/clean your house.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Stick with name brands (new or used) and you should be ok. Those really cheap chinese products (1st link) are pure junk.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com