Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-08-2005, 08:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to rcjubei
Eclipse 3 Lighting issue?

Hello all,
First post to this site so here it goes.
I have had my eclipse 3 tall, 37-gallon tank for roughly five years. For the first couple of years just had plastic decorations and common aquarium fish (barbs and tetras).
Feeling more confident a few years back I started raising discus (not breeding) which for the most part has been going very well (except for the one unexplained fatality last year).

Finally I raised enough courage to explore the world of having FW plants. I have went out and bought an arsenal of supplies and am now faced with an aquarium canopy that does not give off enough WPG.
I would like to buy either a new canopy or retrofit light fixture (2 x 65wpg), I would prefer the least expensive of the two and would like to save my bio-wheel which is part of the canopy?
I do not know where to purchase the canopy or retrofit item and I do not know what type of lights to get (MH/VHO/FL)? If anyone has a link to a well trusted distributor I would really appreciate it.
Here is all info on my set-up I would really like to hear different advice or comments on what I can change, improve or just plain not use? Thanks to all in advance.

Set up:
37-Gallon Eclipse 3 Tall (15% water changes every week to two weeks)
12" x 30" I believe its 20" tall
2 each: Sun-glo 20w lights (just bought) 12 hour timer on.
Eclipse Stock filter 250 GPH w/ bio-wheel
Temp 80-82 degrees
Turbo CO2 Bio System by Red Sea 12 hour timer while lights are on(I know its serving no purpose because of low light rightnow).
Flora Base Plant Aquarium Substrate by Red Sea (3 each 12 lb bags at bottom)
Air-stone on while lights are off for 12 hours.

Using for water tests: Deluxe Fresh Lab Water Test by Red Sea
Current Water Condition:
Ph= 7.0
Cl2= 0
Fe= 0 (currently using florafe and floravit for daily additions)
Co2= 22
GH= 7
KH= 8
Ammonia= 0 Temp 82 F
Nitrite= 0.05

2-Large Discus
2-Golden barbs
4-Short skirt Tetras
1-Common Pleco

BTW I have been reading some threads and a lot of great advice is being passed along.........Great Fish site!

rcjubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
for retrofits, its almost impossible to beat www.ahsupply.com kits. But whether it'll fit in your canopy...that's the real issue.

Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 06:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to rcjubei
Thanks Malkore for the response.
Well, I checked around and the best retrofit would only be one 65w slot, so I went out and purchased:

Deluxe Series-Double Linear strip that would fit the dimensions of my tank.
30 inch double lamp fixture, w/ 2-55/65w 6700k lights.
Built-in electronic blasts and cooling fans
Aluminum housing w/Highly polished lense cover.

All I need to do now is go out and buy a filtration system, any recommendations? I am going to leave my old bio-wheel float around in the tank once the new set-up is in place, I hope im not in store for any radical changes in nitrite and ammonia?
rcjubei is offline   Reply With Quote

eclipse, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com