Eclipse 6 pump went out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlinsey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have an Eclipse System 6, 6 gallon aquarium and have had it for about 5 years. The pump often goes off with power outages and usually I can get it going again by rapping on the top of the housing, but not today - it seems to be dead. Local places do not have the part so I will order it.
Anything else I should try to revive it?
Any recommendations as to what to do to keep the fish alive in the few days it will take to get a replacement?
There are some tight cracks in the acrylic - would it be best to just get a whole new Eclipse 6 since the part is ~1/3 the price of the whole aquarium?
TIA

Did it go out or is it just dirty? Take it apart and clean the impeller and the pump very well. My Eclipse 5 Hex got hung up after the last PWC. A little tap got it going, but I'm betting my impeller is dirty.

If the motor is indeed dead, your fish may be ok for a few days in the tank. When I dropped and shattered my AC70, my fish stayed in the tank without a filter for about four days without issue. I guess my bacteria populations are good because the water parameters were still good when I got the new filter. I kept the biomedia in the tank, which probably helped.

Are they actual cracks or just a little crazing? If it's cracks, now's the perfect time to upgrade to a bigger tank.

Got it working - thanks!

Opened it up and cleaned the impeller and it started right up when I plugged it back in. (y)
Never realized you could open up and clean in there...

It took me a little while to figure out how to open it up. The packaging of the equipment on the Eclipse stuff is pretty impressive, but it's not the most user friendly.

My koralias stop all the time, I run them in a bucket of vinegar water to clean em out. Sometimes they have to be kick started too, stick something in there to start it spinning. Glad it worked out.

Back
Top Bottom