Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2005, 02:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to chris stevens
Eclipse system 6

Just ordered an Eclipse system 6 to use as my quarantine tank in the near future. 1. what modifications should i make (remove biowheel?), 2. in the future i might end up using it as a nano reef, once i really get my hands around this saltwater thing. does anyone sell PC bulbs that would fit in the lighting fixture?, 3. did i make a big mistake by going this small for a QT? fish being housed will likely be a large green chromis. thanks

Old 11-15-2005, 03:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Chris, the lighting that comes with eclipse system is junk. They are highly overpriced systems. I think it would be in your best interests to take it back and get the 12 gallon nano cube instead. These a perfect for quarantine if you want everything contained. It has a great filter and really good lighting for under 100 bucks! The other cool thing about these systems is you can fill the back filter system with quite a bit of live rock rubble. The only thing you will need to purchase is a small heater (which you can also hide in filter area) and a 10 dollar digital thermometer. You could also use this for a beautiful nano cube in the future.

I really rant and rave about these nano tanks. They are superb quality and you really cannot beat the price.

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to chris stevens
i've heard these nanocubes have an awful tendency to crack? nobody makes a retrofit lighting kit for the eclipse 6?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:59 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

i dont know about a retro kit, but IMO, a 6 gallon might be a little small for a QT, I would go 10 gallons minimum, but thats JMO.

I would leave the biowheel in as you NEED some sort of filtration on a QT as you won't have any substrate or LR etc. the way most handle this is they use the biowheel and "prime it" by having it in an area of the display tank for a few days prior to purchasing your new fish. when you purchase the new fish, fill the QT tank with water from the display and move the biowheel from the display to the QT, this way there's some bacteria etc in the biowheel to help the QT filtration.

Tags
eclipse, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com