Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-22-2004, 01:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
eclipse systems

Does anyone have any experience with one of these. I was thinking of picking one up so I could have a nice little betta tank. I'm not sure what the exact size was but I think it was maybe 12 gallons or so. It looks like a pretty nice system but I figured I'll ask about it just incase.

Love pets?
A fun pet community
Talon242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
I had an Eclipse 3 for some time. About 4 months I used it in the office with 5 neon tetras and a horde of pond snails, and some live plants. They're neat, but a bit pricy and not really upgradable.. Ie, you have to use their lights and filters.

They're good like contained units for stuff like a desk or office tank but you'd probably be just as well off with a real tank with biowheel filter.

Also, mine developed some sort of small leak that I haven't had time to pinpoint yet. My neons moved into my 90 gallon.

Gamer? Like Counter-strike, World of Warcraft, or just games in general? Visit http://www.gamehavoc.com/
ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:13 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
I have an Eclipse explorer at work. It's only the 2 gallon one...there is no light, only a filter. I have a betta in there and he loves it. It's very convenient for my desk since everything is hidden under the hood. I have only had it for 2 or 3 months now, but no problems as of yet.
Join the Eastern PA/Greater Philadelphia Forum! Click here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=7825

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to lreilly
I have an Eclipse 5 or some thing around that for my male betta. I think it works great for him. It is on my night stand so it looks clean and simple. The light that came with it is doing a great job of growing live plats too.

I really like the way they look, and combine the filter out of sight, but as it was said the upgrade is the issue. You are stuck with what they have. If you are going for just a betta then I think it would be just fine.
lreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to swanandmokashi
i have an eclipse 3 for my betta , works good.. i like the bio-wheel but yes you really can't upgrade
55 Gallon FW,Eco-complete Substrate
Equipment : In-line heater, RENA XP3 filter, 130 Watts Fluroscent
Plants - x Cryptocoryne wendtii brown
Fish : 10 Tiger Barbs, 2 Blue German Rams, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Rainbow shark
swanandmokashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 11:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a 5gal hex eclipse it is working out great(one female betta, ghost shrimp, and live plants). I had only one problem when I got it the light hood was doa. While that problem was annoying the customer service was great. It did not take over five min of hold time and talking to a rep. to have a replacement sent to me.
JoseRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:24 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to fishstixs05
I have owned an eclipse six for quite some time now. I had guppies, then feeder goldfish, and now it is saltwater. The problem mine had was that the impeller suddenly stopped working and had to be replaced. Other than at it works great. In fact the filter is almost working like a mini-refugium right now. Some sand got sucked up onto the cartidge, and now tubeworms, water fleas, and other organisms are cleaning the water as it passes by.
In the Sacramento Area, join Marine Aquarium Rountable of Sacramento at www.marineaquarist.org or the Sacramento Aquarium Society at www.sacramentoaquariumsociety.org
fishstixs05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:29 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
I've got an Eclipse 3...don't know where it came from, but I think it's in one of my other empty tanks. I thought it was a pain to clean, limited, and dull. That's why I don't use it, but I'm picky.
Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 03:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have an Eclipse 6 for our betta and he loves it. One thing that drew us to the Eclipse was the sleek, neat, and compact look. The filtration is adequate for the small bioloads they are designed for. I think the lighting is good if you aren't growing plants.

I find most people who don't like them are advanced fish keepers who like to customize their equipment to their particular fishes needs. For a betta or a small school of small fish, its hard to beat an Eclipse for ease of use.

nervousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 06:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 5 gallon Eclipse that is currently empty. I would say that if you get messy fish or tend to overload your tank then do not get an eclipse. The filters simply cannot handle it. As you can see the small ones are great for bettas or small fish because they are so easy to use and simply look good

poppab02 is offline   Reply With Quote

eclipse, stem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com