eclipse systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talon242

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have any experience with one of these. I was thinking of picking one up so I could have a nice little betta tank. I'm not sure what the exact size was but I think it was maybe 12 gallons or so. It looks like a pretty nice system but I figured I'll ask about it just incase.

I had an Eclipse 3 for some time. About 4 months I used it in the office with 5 neon tetras and a horde of pond snails, and some live plants. They're neat, but a bit pricy and not really upgradable.. Ie, you have to use their lights and filters.

They're good like contained units for stuff like a desk or office tank but you'd probably be just as well off with a real tank with biowheel filter.

Also, mine developed some sort of small leak that I haven't had time to pinpoint yet. My neons moved into my 90 gallon.

I have an Eclipse explorer at work. It's only the 2 gallon one...there is no light, only a filter. I have a betta in there and he loves it. It's very convenient for my desk since everything is hidden under the hood. I have only had it for 2 or 3 months now, but no problems as of yet.

I have an Eclipse 5 or some thing around that for my male betta. I think it works great for him. It is on my night stand so it looks clean and simple. The light that came with it is doing a great job of growing live plats too.

I really like the way they look, and combine the filter out of sight, but as it was said the upgrade is the issue. You are stuck with what they have. If you are going for just a betta then I think it would be just fine.

I got a 5gal hex eclipse it is working out great(one female betta, ghost shrimp, and live plants). I had only one problem when I got it the light hood was doa. While that problem was annoying the customer service was great. It did not take over five min of hold time and talking to a rep. to have a replacement sent to me.

I have owned an eclipse six for quite some time now. I had guppies, then feeder goldfish, and now it is saltwater. The problem mine had was that the impeller suddenly stopped working and had to be replaced. Other than at it works great. In fact the filter is almost working like a mini-refugium right now. Some sand got sucked up onto the cartidge, and now tubeworms, water fleas, and other organisms are cleaning the water as it passes by.

I've got an Eclipse 3...don't know where it came from, but I think it's in one of my other empty tanks. I thought it was a pain to clean, limited, and dull. That's why I don't use it, but I'm picky.

We have an Eclipse 6 for our betta and he loves it. One thing that drew us to the Eclipse was the sleek, neat, and compact look. (y) The filtration is adequate for the small bioloads they are designed for. I think the lighting is good if you aren't growing plants.

I find most people who don't like them are advanced fish keepers who like to customize their equipment to their particular fishes needs. For a betta or a small school of small fish, its hard to beat an Eclipse for ease of use.

HTH,

Rob

I have a 5 gallon Eclipse that is currently empty. I would say that if you get messy fish or tend to overload your tank then do not get an eclipse. The filters simply cannot handle it. As you can see the small ones are great for bettas or small fish because they are so easy to use and simply look good

Thanks for all the responses, I think I am going to get one soon as I figure out where I should put it. All thats going to be in there is a betta and maybe a few ghost shrimp.

i just bought an eclipse system 6 and i love it. it simply looks SOOOOOOO great in my room on my nightstand. its small enough to where its tasteful and nice to look at but big enough to keep like 5 or 6 mollies or platties or a bunch of neons. i love it how its all contained in its own hood. silent too. cant hear a SINGLE sound coming from it. DEF get an eclipse system

I have an eclipse explorer, its my first tank and it works fine. It just looks smaller than it really is, otherwise, great system!!!

Does anyone with an eclipse have advice on how to keep the lights from heating the tank into the low 90's f after a few hours? I have an eclipse 5 corner tank with some live plants and a female betta.. Need to have a light on at least 8 hrs a day because of that.

Matthi said:
Does anyone with an eclipse have advice on how to keep the lights from heating the tank into the low 90's f after a few hours? I have an eclipse 5 corner tank with some live plants and a female betta.. Need to have a light on at least 8 hrs a day because of that.

Does the eclipse corner have a incandescent light or is it florescent light? If you have a incandescent light I will be just the matter of changing to florescent. If you all ready have a florescent light then I have no idea why it is heating up the water so fast.

I was talking to the manager of a petco here a few weeks ago (who is actually a hobbist himself, the tanks were in amazing condition, possibly the best I've seen in a store) he said that the lights in an Eclipse systems tend to over-heat the aquariums, but all that you have to do in most cases is leave the flap open, hope it helps :)

I have a 15 gallon eclipse I use for a breeding tank for my Kribensis. I haven't had any problems but I do agree that you have to buy their replacement parts which can be pricey

thanks for the advice on the light, ive been wondering why my heaters aren't accurate enough to keep the water to a low enough temperature. ive bought 3 heaters and i couldn't figure out why none of them could keep it at an accurate temperature. it never occured to me it was the light. im gonna go out tomorrow and buy a florescent light for my tank. god that makes me angry i just spent 50 bucks on new heaters to keep the temp lower. alright, thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom